Random gradient-free minimization of convex functions
In this paper, we prove the complexity bounds for methods of Convex Optimization based only on computation of the function value. The search directions of our schemes are normally distributed random Gaussian vectors. It appears that such methods usually need at most n times more iterations than the standard gradient methods, where n is the dimension of the space of variables. This conclusion is true both for nonsmooth and smooth problems. For the later class, we present also an accelerated scheme with the expected rate of convergence O(n[ exp ]2 /k[ exp ]2), where k is the iteration counter. For Stochastic Optimization, we propose a zero-order scheme and justify its expected rate of convergence O(n/k[ exp ]1/2). We give also some bounds for the rate of convergence of the random gradient-free methods to stationary points of nonconvex functions, both for smooth and nonsmooth cases. Our theoretical results are supported by preliminary computational experiments.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/coreEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010.
"Option Pricing with Asymmetric Heteroskedastic Normal Mixture Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2010-44, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K. & STENTOFT, Lars, 2010. "Option pricing with asymmetric heteroskedastic normal mixture models," CORE Discussion Papers 2010049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeroen Rombouts & Lars Peter Stentoft, 2010. "Option Pricing with Asymmetric Heteroskedastic Normal Mixture Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-38, CIRANO.
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Luc Bauwens & David Veredas, 2007. "High frequency financial econometrics. Recent developments," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136223, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521681599 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2011001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.