Exchange Rate Pass-Through for Australian Manufactured Imports: Estimates from the Johansen Maximum-Likelihood Procedure
This paper estimates exchange rate pass-through for Australian manufactured imports by applying an econometric procedure which avoids the pit-falls in previous studies to a carefully assembled data set. For the first time, we provide estimates of pass-through based on the Johansen (1988) ML procedure. Our finding of incomplete pass-through has important implications for policy and the macroeconomy. Incomplete pass-through brings into question the validity of the "small" country assumption and the exogeneity of the terms of trade with respect to exchange rate changes. We may also have to reconsider the extent of the apparent inflationary (deflationary) consequences of exchange rate depreciations (appreciations), and the effects of exchange rate variability on international trade flows.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-56, September.
- Jayant Menon, 1993. "Exchange Rates, Import Prices, And The Macroeconomy," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 12(1), pages 37-48, 03.
- Jayant Menon, 1992. "Exchange rates and prices of Australian manufactured exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(4), pages 695-710, December.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1993. "On Exchange Rates," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061546, June.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "Information Criteria for Discriminating among Alternative Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1273-91, November.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hall, S G, 1991. "The Effect of Varying Length VAR Models on the Maximum Likelihood Estimates of Cointegrating Vectors," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 38(4), pages 317-23, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:ip-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.