Least Median of Squares Estimation by Optimization Heuristics with an Application to the CAPM and Multi Factor Models
For estimating the parameters of models for financial market data, the use of robust techniques is of particular interest. Conditional forecasts, based on the capital asset pricing model, and a factor model are considered. It is proposed to consider least median of squares estimators as one possible alternative to ordinary least squares. Given the complexity of the objective function for the least median of squares estimator, the estimates are obtained by means of optimization heuristics. The performance of two heuristics is compared, namely differential evolution and threshold accepting. It is shown that these methods are well suited to obtain least median of squares estimators for real world problems. Furthermore, it is analyzed to what extent parameter estimates and conditional forecasts differ between the two estimators. The empirical analysis considers daily and monthly data on some stocks from the Dow Jones Industrial Average Index (DJIA).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 1999.
"Improving the Computation of Censored Quantile Regressions,"
568, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Winker, Peter, 2007. "Improving the computation of censored quantile regressions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 88-108, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Winker, Peter & Gilli, Manfred, 2004. "Applications of optimization heuristics to estimation and modelling problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 211-223, September.
- Manfred GILLI & Peter WINKER, "undated".
"A review of heuristic optimization methods in econometrics,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
08-12, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Manfred Gilli & Peter Winker, 2008. "Review of Heuristic Optimization Methods in Econometrics," Working Papers 001, COMISEF.
- Chan, Louis K. C. & Lakonishok, Josef, 1992. "Robust Measurement of Beta Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 265-282, June.
- Yang, Zheng & Tian, Zheng & Yuan, Zixia, 2007. "GSA-based maximum likelihood estimation for threshold vector error correction model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 109-120, September.
- Barreto, Humberto & Maharry, David, 2006. "Least median of squares and regression through the origin," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1391-1397, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:com:wpaper:006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anil Khuman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.