Solving nonlinear stochastic optimal control problems using evolutionary heuristic optimization
Policy makers constantly face optimal control problems: what controls allow to achieve certain targets in, e.g., GDP growth or inflation? Conventionally this is done by applying certain linear-quadratic optimization algorithms to dynamic econometric models. Several algorithms extend this baseline framework to nonlinear stochastic problems. However, those algorithms are limited in a variety of ways including, most importantly, restriction to local best solutions only and the symmetry of objective function. In Blueschke et al. (2013a) a new flexible optimization method based on Differential Evolution is suggested. It allows to lift these limitations and achieve better approximations of the policy targets, but is designed to deterministic problems only. This study extends the methodology by dealing with stochastic problems in two different ways: applying extreme event analysis and by minimizing the median objective value. Thus, this research is aimed to broaden the range of decision support information used by policy makers in choosing optimal strategy under much more realistic conditions.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.jenecon.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyra, M. & Paha, J. & Paterlini, S. & Winker, P., 2010.
"Optimization heuristics for determining internal rating grading scales,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2693-2706, November.
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2008. "Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales," Working Papers 005, COMISEF.
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2009. "Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 09031, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Marianna Lyra & Johannes Paha & Sandra Paterlini & Peter Winker, 2008. "Optimization Heuristics for Determining Internal Rating Grading Scales," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 023, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Blueschke-Nikolaeva, V. & Blueschke, D. & Neck, R., 2012. "Optimal control of nonlinear dynamic econometric models: An algorithm and an application," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3230-3240.
- Viktoria Blüschke-Nikolaeva & Dmitri Blüschke & Reinhard Neck, 2010. "Optimal Control of Nonlinear Dynamic Econometric Models: An Algorithm and an Application," Working Papers 032, COMISEF.
- Neck, Reinhard, 1984. "Stochastic control theory and operational research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 283-301, September.
- Blueschke, D. & Blueschke-Nikolaeva, V. & Savin, I., 2013. "New insights into optimal control of nonlinear dynamic econometric models: Application of a heuristic approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 821-837.
- D. Blueschke & V. Blueschke-Nikolaeva & Ivan Savin, 2012. "New Insights Into Optimal Control of Nonlinear Dynamic Econometric Models: Application of a Heuristic Approach," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-008, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Peter Winker & Marianna Lyra & Chris Sharpe, 2011. "Least median of squares estimation by optimization heuristics with an application to the CAPM and a multi-factor model," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 103-123, April.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Woodford, Michael, 2012. "Linear-quadratic approximation of optimal policy problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 1-42.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2006. "Linear-Quadratic Approximation of Optimal Policy Problems," NBER Working Papers 12672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Woodford, Michael, 2006. "Linear-Quadratic Approximation of Optimal Policy Problems," CEPR Discussion Papers 5964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kendrick, David A., 2005. "Stochastic control for economic models: past, present and the paths ahead," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 3-30, January.
- Abiodun Egbetokun & Ivan Savin, 2014. "Absorptive capacity and innovation: when is it better to cooperate?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 399-420, April.
- Abiodun Egbetokun & Ivan Savin, 2012. "Absorptive Capacity and Innovation: When Is It Better to Cooperate?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-056, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- MacRae, Elizabeth Chase, 1975. "An Adaptive Learning Rule for Multiperiod Decision Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 893-906, Sept.-Nov.
- D. Blueschke & V. Blueschke-Nikolaeva & R. Neck, 2013. "Stochastic Control of Linear and Nonlinear Econometric Models: Some Computational Aspects," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 107-118, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2013-051. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.