Effects of Price Shocks to Consumer Demand. Estimating the QUAIDS Demand System on Czech Household Budget Survey Data
The purpose of his paper is to describe consumer behavior in the Czech Republic by estimating a demand system in which demand depends on income and prices, but also on other factors such as age, size of the household, and position on the labor market. We combine Household Budget Survey data with information on prices from alternative sources between 2000 and 2008. The main focus of our analysis is to provide estimates of both own-and cross-price and income elasticities, which can be used among other things when analyzing the impact of exogenous price changes on consumer demand. Based on our estimates, the commodity bundles of food, energy, and health and bodycare are necessary goods, as their budget elasticity is positive and below one at the same time. Clothing and shoes, transportation and communication, and education and leisure are luxury goods, with income elasticity above one. The own-price elasticities are negative for all commodity groups, as expected. The cross elasticities seem to be smaller than the own elasticities.We found expenditure on energy and transportation and communication to be the most affected by changes in their own prices. We use our estimates to analyze the impact of regulated price changes on consumer demand and discuss the further potential use of our results.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meisner, James F., 1979. "The sad fate of the asymptotic Slutsky symmetry test for large systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-233.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-51, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521296762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Petr Jansky, 2014.
"Consumer Demand System Estimation and Value Added Tax Reforms in the Czech Republic,"
Working Papers IES
2014/07, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2014.
- Petr Janský, 2014. "Consumer Demand System Estimation and Value Added Tax Reforms in the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 64(3), pages 246-273, June.
- Petr Jansky, 2013. "Consumer Demand System Estimation and Value Added Tax Reforms in the Czech Republic," IFS Working Papers W13/20, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002.
"Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Ian Crawford & François Laisney & Ian Preston, 2002. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," IFS Working Papers W02/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Karel Janda & Jill J. McCluskey & Gordon C. Rausser, 2000.
"Food Import Demand in the Czech Republic,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 22-44.
- Janda, Karel & Rausser, Gordon C. & McCluskey, Jill, 1998. "Food import demand in the Czech Republic," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt14j5p75j, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Janda, Karel & Rausser, Gordon C. & JMcCluskey, Jill Jennifer, 1998. "Food import demand in the Czech Republic," CUDARE Working Paper Series 796R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brian P. Poi, 2008. "Demand-system estimation: Update," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 554-556, December.
- Brown, Alan & Deaton, Angus S, 1972. "Surveys in Applied Economics: Models of Consumer Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1145-1236, December.
- Karel Janda & Jakub Mikolášek & Martin Netuka, 2009. "The Estimation of Complete Almost Ideal Demand System from Czech Household Budget Survey Data," Working Papers IES 2009/31, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Dec 2009.
- Blundell, Richard, 1988. "Consumer Behaviour: Theory and Empirical Evidence--a Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 16-65, March.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Toshinobu Matsuda, 2006. "A trigonometric flexible consumer demand system," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 145-162, February.
- Laura Blow, 2003. "Demographics in demand systems," IFS Working Papers W03/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Brian P. Poi, 2002. "From the help desk: Demand system estimation," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 403-410, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2010/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.