Dissecting The Size Distribution Of Establishments Across Countries
We present a detailed description of cross-country differences in the size distribution of establishments as measured by Enterprise Surveys of the World Bank (2006-2010). We find that poorer countries tend to have smaller establishments, and hence a higher proportion of employment is allocated to such plants. We also find that, conditional on the level of per capita GDP, there is still a wide variation in the size distribution of establishments. We show that financial frictions and other costs imposed on the business environment can account for a sizeable part of such variation. Additionally, we exploit the richness of the data-set to document cross-sector differences in the size distribution of establishments. We show that establishments in manufacturing and construction tend to be larger on average than in retail and other services.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casado del Alisal, 5, 28014 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.cemfi.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongseok Shin & Joe Kaboski & Francisco J. Buera, 2008.
"Finance and Development: A Tale of Two Sectors,"
2008 Meeting Papers
955, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Daniel Yi Xu, 2010.
"Finance and Misallocation: Evidence from Plant-level Data,"
NBER Working Papers
15647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Daniel Yi Xu, 2014. "Finance and Misallocation: Evidence from Plant-Level Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(2), pages 422-58, February.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2009.
"Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2008, pages 243-272
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2008. "Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences," NBER Working Papers 14060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus Poschke, 2010.
"Skill-biased change in entrepreneurial technology,"
2010 Meeting Papers
520, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database,"
2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Banerji, Ranadev, 1978. "Average size of plants in manufacturing and capital intensity : A cross-country analysis by industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 155-166, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmf:wpaper:wp2012_1204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Araceli Requerey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.