Aumento del Salario Mínimo y sus Efectos sobre el Mercado Laboral
This paper presents some stylized facts about the minimum wage and the labor market in Chile, using primarily Casen survey data and the Supplementary Income Survey (ESI). About 4% of workers (employees) are allocated to the minimum wage in Chile (Casen 2011). Whereas a static analysis, a minimum wage increase to $193,000 coverage imply that workers subject to minimum wage would increase marginally. In terms of economic sectors, agriculture, community and social services, and retail, covers 71% of the workers concerned by the minimum wage. When considering intra-sector statistics, the sectors with the highest fraction of workers covered by the minimum wage are agriculture (10.4%) and retail (4.9%).
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zavodny, Madeline, 2000. "The effect of the minimum wage on employment and hours," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 729-750, November.
- Nicolás Grau & Oscar Landerretche, 2011. "The Labor Impact of Minimum Wages: A Method for Estimating the Effect in Emerging Economies using Chilean Panel Data," Working Papers wp329, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1995. "Time-Series Minimum-Wage Studies: A Meta-analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 238-43, May.
- Jacob Mincer, 1974. "Unemployment Effects of Minimum Wages," NBER Working Papers 0039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sara Lemos, 2006.
"Minimum Wage Effects in a Developing Country,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
06/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Dickens, Richard & Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1999.
"The Effects of Minimum Wages on Employment: Theory and Evidence from Britain,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Richard Dickens & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1994. "The Effects of Minimum Wages on Employment: Theory and Evidence from Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0183, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Murat Tasci, 2008. "Positive and normative effects of a minimum wage," Working Paper 0801, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1991. "Evidence on Employment Effects of Minimum Wages and Subminimum Wage Provisions From Panel Data on State Minimum Wage Laws," NBER Working Papers 3859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas R. Michl, 2000. "Can Rescheduling Explain the New Jersey Minimum Wage Studies?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 265-276, Summer.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1997.
"A Reanalysis of the Effect of the New Jersey Minimum Wage Increase on the Fast-Food Industry with Representative Payroll Data,"
772, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1998. "A Reanalysis of the Effect of the New Jersey Minimum Wage Increase on the Fast-Food Industry with Representative Payroll Data," NBER Working Papers 6386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Brown & Curtis Gilroy & Andrew Kohen, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 0846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alida Castillo Freeman & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Minimum Wages in Puerto Rico: Textbook Case of a Wage Floor?," NBER Working Papers 3759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alison J. Wellington, 1991. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on the Employment Status of Youths: An Update," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(1), pages 27-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:690. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.