Business Cycle Dynamics and Shock Resilience in Chile
In this paper we use a VAR model to analyze the response of the Chilean business cycle to shocks and the capacity of the Chilean economy to withstand them (resilience). Novel features in the analysis include the introduction of an expanded set of variables to capture the impact of external shocks and domestic shocks —including policy variables; the use of an extended sample since the 1950s; and the introduction of block exogeneity to capture the small open economy feature and to better deal with identification issues. Among key results, we find that foreign shocks have been the dominant source of business cycle fluctuations, followed by monetary policy shocks, while fiscal policy shocks explain relatively little; and that despite of the increased synchronization of the domestic business cycle with international conditions, the resilience of the Chilean economy to external shocks has increased during the nineties, with countercyclical policies playing an important role in such a positive development
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Juan Enrique Suarez, 2001.
"¿Qué Debemos Explicar? Reportando las Fluctuaciones Agregadas de la Economía Chilena,"
Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review,
Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 16(1), pages 145-166, June.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Juan Enrique Suárez, . "¿Qué debemos explicar?: Reportando las Fluctuaciones Agregadas de la Economía Chilena," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv112, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Eric Parrado H., 2001. "Foreign Shocks and Monetary Policy Transmission in Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 4(3), pages 29-57, December.
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2000. "Exchange rate anomalies in the industrial countries: A solution with a structural VAR approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 561-586, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.