Optimal Control and Resources
Necessary and sufficient conditions from optimal control theory that are typically used when studying finite and infinite horizon natural resource economics problems are stated. In the finite horizon case their use is demonstrated by deriving an explicit solution of a model describing the optimal cleanup of a hazardous stock. In the infinite horizon case a qualitative characterization of the solution of a renewable resource extraction problem is achieved by employing a phase diagram. Complementary techniques such as comparative dynamics and dynamic envelope results are also employed in order to demonstrate how to extract the maximum amount of information from natural resource economics problems.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (407) 823-3266
Web page: http://business.ucf.edu/degree/bachelors-sciences-business-administration/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992.
"Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586.
- Léonard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1990. "A qualitative characterization of the competitive nonrenewable resource extracting firm," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 206-226, May.
- Olli Tahvonen, 1991. "On the dynamics of renewable resource harvesting and pollution control," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 97-117, March.
- Barrett, Scott, 1991. "Optimal soil conservation and the reform of agricultural pricing policies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 167-187, October.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Barney, L. Dwayne, 1991. "The envelope theorem in dynamic optimization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 355-385, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfl:wpaper:2011-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.