Indústria transformadora portuguesa: especialização das regiões e/ou concentração geográfica de indústrias?
In spite of the relation between industrial specialisation and geographic concentration of industries, these are two different concepts. After clarifying both, the aim of this paper is to analyze the structural change on Portuguese manufacturing industry from two perspectives: the specialisation of regions in particular sectors and the regional concentration of those sectors (industries). Our empirical study uses yearly data for the period 1996 - 2004 and made use of absolute indicators to measure whether individual industries became more or less concentrated in Portuguese regions, and whether the industry structure of the Portuguese regions became more similar. In the first case we talk about geographical concentration of industries, in the second about a decrease of sectoral specialisation of regions. The results suggest a high level of concentration and a variable level of specialisation between regions.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colégio Espírito SANTO|
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yvonne Wolfmayr-Schnitzer, "undated".
"Economic Integration, Specialisation and the Location of Industries. A Survey of the Theoretical Literature,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Yvonne Wolfmayr-Schnitzer, 2000. "Economic Integration, Specialisation and the Location of Industries. A Survey of the Theoretical Literature," Austrian Economic Quarterly, WIFO, vol. 5(2), pages 73-80, May.
- Junius, Karsten, 1996. "Economic development and industrial concentration: An inverted U-curve," Kiel Working Papers 770, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Karen Helen Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2002.
"Integration and Industrial Specialisation in the European Union,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 53(3), pages 469-481.
- Karen Helen Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2002. "Integration and Industrial. Specialisation in the European Union," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 53(3), pages 469-481.
- Karl Aiginger & Stephen W. Davies, 2004. "Industrial specialisation and geographic concentration: Two sides of the same coin? Not for the European Union," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 7, pages 231-248, November.
- Karl Aiginger & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "Specialization and concentration: a note on theory and evidence," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 255-266, September.
- Karl Aiginger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "The Single Market and Geographic Concentration in Europe," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-11, 02.
- Traistaru, Iulia & Nijkamp, Peter & Longhi, Simonetta, 2002. "Regional specialisation and location of industrial activity in accession countries," ERSA conference papers ersa02p136, European Regional Science Association.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2008_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.