What is the X-Factor in the German Electricity Industry?
A new legislation in the German electricity market requires the implementation of an incentive- based regulation within the next years. In such a regime either prices or revenues are capped and grow with the inflation rate minus a factor, which accounts for productivity differences between the sector and the rest of the economy. This paper derives such an X-factor for the German electricity industry using a new productivity database and Growth Accounting methodology. Considering that several underlying assumptions are violated due to market imperfections, the calculated X-factor rises from 0.48 to a modified value of 2.15.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Sappington, David E M, 1999.
"Setting the X Factor in Price-Cap Regulation Plans,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-25, July.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & David E. M. Sappington, 1998. "Setting the X Factor in Price Cap Regulation Plans," NBER Working Papers 6622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Storchmann, Karl, 2005. "The rise and fall of German hard coal subsidies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1469-1492, July.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2005. "The German Electricity Sector â€“ Finally on the Move?," ifo DICE Report, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(2), pages 30-39, 07.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, January.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Sappington, David E. M., 2000. "How to determine the X in RPI-X regulation: a user's guide," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 63-68, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.