The Roots of Inequality: Estimating Inequality of Opportunity from Regression Trees
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Brunori & Paul Hufe & Daniel Gerszon Mahler, 2017. "The Roots of Inequality: Estimating Inequality of Opportunity from Regression Trees," Working Papers - Economics wp2017_18.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Brunori,Paolo & Hufe,Paul & Mahler,Daniel Gerszon, 2018. "The roots of inequality : estimating inequality of opportunity from regression trees," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8349, The World Bank.
References listed on IDEAS
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2016.
"Upward and downward bias when measuring inequality of opportunity,"
05-2016, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza - Università degli Studi di Bari "Aldo Moro", revised Sep 2016.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2017. "Upward and downward bias when measuring inequality of opportunity," Working Papers - Economics wp2017_02.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Brunori, Paolo & Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2018. "Upward and Downward Bias When Measuring Inequality of Opportunity," IZA Discussion Papers 11405, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2016. "Upward and downward bias when measuring inequality of opportunity," Working Papers 406, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011.
"The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008. "The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4659, The World Bank.
- Nicolas Pistolesi, 2009. "Inequality of opportunity in the land of opportunities, 1968–2001," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 7(4), pages 411-433, December.
- repec:spr:sochwe:v:49:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s00355-017-1044-x is not listed on IDEAS
- Alain Trannoy & Sandy Tubeuf & Florence Jusot & Marion Devaux, 2010.
"Inequality of opportunities in health in France: a first pass,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 921-938, August.
- Trannoy, A & Tubeuf, S & Jusot, F & Devaux, M, 2008. "Inequality in Opportunities in Health in France: A first pass," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/24, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Vito Peragine, 2013. "Ex Ante Versus Ex Post Equality of Opportunity," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 118-130, January.
- Lefranc, Arnaud & Pistolesi, Nicolas & Trannoy, Alain, 2009.
"Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Arnaud LEFRANC & Nicolas PISTOLESI & Alain TRANNOY, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," THEMA Working Papers 2009-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France ," Post-Print hal-01650733, HAL.
- repec:aea:jecper:v:31:y:2017:i:2:p:87-106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cowell, Frank A & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Robustness Properties of Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 77-101, January.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2012. "Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199653591.
- García, Jorge Luis & Heckman, James J. & Ziff, Anna, 2017.
"Gender Differences in the Benefits of an Influential Early Childhood Program,"
IZA Discussion Papers
10758, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jorge Luis García & James J. Heckman & Anna L. Ziff, 2017. "Gender Differences in the Benefits of an Influential Early Childhood Program," NBER Working Papers 23412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fleurbaey Marc, 1995. "Three Solutions for the Compensation Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 505-521, April.
- Veruska Oppedisano & Gilberto Turati, 2015. "What are the causes of educational inequality and of its evolution over time in Europe? Evidence from PISA," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 3-24, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/268 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Hufe & Andreas Peichl & John Roemer & Martin Ungerer, 2017.
"Inequality of income acquisition: the role of childhood circumstances,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 49(3), pages 499-544, December.
- Hufe, Paul & Peichl, Andreas & Roemer, John & Ungerer, Martin, 2015. "Inequality of income acquisition: The role of childhood circumstances," ZEW Discussion Papers 15-084, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Paolo Li Donni & Juan Rodríguez & Pedro Rosa Dias, 2015. "Empirical definition of social types in the analysis of inequality of opportunity: a latent classes approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 44(3), pages 673-701, March.
- Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement of Inequality of Inequality of Opportunity: Theory and an Application to Latin America," Post-Print halshs-00754503, HAL.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ces:ifosdt:v:71:y:2018:i:05:p:18-22 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsEquality of opportunity; machine learning; random forests.;
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- C38 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Classification Methdos; Cluster Analysis; Principal Components; Factor Analysis
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2018-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BIG-2018-02-19 (Big Data)
- NEP-EUR-2018-02-19 (Microeconomic European Issues)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifooode.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.