Integration, Mobility, and Human Capital Formation
In this note, we show that labour market integration can be a double-edged sword. In the presence of local human capital externalities, integration and the ensuing agglomeration of skilled labour can cause a decline in human capital and the total wage sum (net of education costs). In particular, integration depresses the incentives for some talented but immobile individuals to become skilled.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2001.
"Inducing Human Capital Formation: Migration as a Substitute for Subsidies,"
100, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2002. "Inducing human capital formation: migration as a substitute for subsidies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-46, October.
- Oded Stark & Christian Helmenstein & Alexia Prskawetz, 1998.
"Human Capital Depletion, Human Capital Formation, and Migration: A Blessing in a "Curse"?,"
Departmental Working Papers
_096, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Stark, Oded & Helmenstein, Christian & Prskawetz, Alexia, 1998. "Human capital depletion, human capital formation, and migration: a blessing or a "curse"?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 363-367, September.
- Stark, Oded & Helmenstein, Christian & Prskawetz, Alexia, 1998. "Human Capital Depletion, Human Capital Formation, and Migration. A Blessing in a "Curse"?," Economics Series 55, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Gallo, Fredrik, 2010.
"Resisting economic integration when industry location is uncertain,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 467-482, April.
- Gallo, Fredrik, 2006. "Resisting Economic Integration when Industry Location is Uncertain," Working Papers 2006:22, Lund University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3190. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.