The Implications of Structural Asymmetries for Monetary Policy and Welfare in a Small Open Economy: A Linear Quadratic Framework
The paper analyzes optimal monetary strategy and policy trade-offs in a DSGE model of an open economy with traded and non-traded sectors. We approximate the utility of the repre- sentative consumer to obtain a micro-founded quadratic loss function of the form extensively used for monetary policy assessment. The central bank's optimal strategy is computed and optimal and simple policy rules compared according to the derived welfare measure. The findings suggest that social welfare objectives display sector-specific features and prescribe the stabilisation of the appropriately weighted sectoral inflation rates and output gaps. A certain degree of the relative price management is also optimal. We analyze macroeconomic volatility and welfare losses under a number of simple policy rules and analyze their ability to replicate the optimal solution.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aoki, Kosuke, 2001. "Optimal monetary policy responses to relative-price changes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 55-80, August.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo, 2005.
"International dimensions of optimal monetary policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 281-305, March.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2001. "International Dimensions of Optimal Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 8230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo, 2002. "International Dimensions of Optimal Monetary Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3349, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2001. "International dimensions of optimal monetary policy," Staff Reports 124, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Optimal Monetary Policy in Open versus Closed Economies: An Integrated Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 248-252, May.
- Liu, Zheng & Pappa, Evi, 2008. "Gains from international monetary policy coordination: Does it pay to be different?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2085-2117, July.
- Liu, Zheng & Pappa, Evi, 2005. "Gains from international monetary policy coordination: does it pay to be different?," Working Paper Series 514, European Central Bank.
- Evi Pappa & Zheng Liu, 2005. "Gains from International Monetary Policy Coordination: Does It Pay to Be Different?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 457, Society for Computational Economics.
- Claudio Soto, 2003. "Non-Traded Goods and Monetary Policy Trade-Offs in a Small Open Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 214, Central Bank of Chile.
- De Paoli, Bianca, 2009. "Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 11-22, February.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary Policy and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0639, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19950, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Erceg, Christopher & Levin, Andrew, 2006. "Optimal monetary policy with durable consumption goods," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1341-1359, October.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2006. "Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 473-506, April.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2003. "Designing targeting rules for international monetary policy cooperation," Working Paper Series 279, European Central Bank.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2003. "Price Stability in Open Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 743-764. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp380. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.