The Impact of Territorially Concentraced FDI on Local Labor Markets: Evidence from the Czech Republic
This paper investigates the impact of a large territorially concentrated FDI inflow on local labor market outcomes using district panel data from the Czech Republic. Toyota- Peugeot´s joint investment in Kolín is used to quantify the effect of FDI on the district unemployment outflow and inflow rates, the aggregate unemployment exit hazard rates, and subsequently both the unemployment rate and the employment rate. Using difference-in-differences analysis, labor market performance of `treatment' and `control' districts for two periods (before and after the investment) are compared. Placebo simulations reveal that conventional least squares estimates lead to serious underestimation of standard errors. Therefore, in order to account for serial correlation, the block bootstrapping technique is used to compute consistent standard errors. The results indicate a positive significant impact of the investment on the local unemployment outflow rate driven mainly by increases in the aggregate unemployment hazard rates for durations less than nine months. However, the impact on longer unemployment durations remained negligible. Consequently, the local unemployment rate decreased and the employment rate increased in the `treated' district.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomasz Mickiewicz & Slavo Radosevic & Urmas Varblane, 2000.
"The Value of Diversity: Foreign Direct Investment and Employment in Central Europe During Economic Recovery,"
One Europe or Several? Working Papers
5, One-Europe Programme.
- Urmas Varblane & Tomasz Mickiewicz & Slavo Radosevic, 2000. "The Value Of Diversity: Foreign Direct Investmentand Employment In Central Europe During Economic Recovery," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 2, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- M. Ramirez, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico: A Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 138-162.
- Helland Eric & Tabarrok Alexander, 2004. "Using Placebo Laws to Test "More Guns, Less Crime"," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elina Ribakova & BalÃ¡zs HorvÃ¡th & Dimitri G. Demekas & Yi Wu, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment in Southeastern Europe; How (And How Much) Can Policies Help?," IMF Working Papers 05/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Simon Burgess & Hélène Turon, 2005. "Unemployment dynamics in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 423-448, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.