Sources of Capital Structure: Evidence from Transition Countries
This study explores the significance of firm-specific, institutional, and macroeconomic factors in explaining variation in leverage using a sample of firms from nine Eastern European countries. Country-specific factors are the main determinants of variation in leverage for small unlisted companies, while firm-specific factors explain most of the variation in leverage for listed and large unlisted companies. Around half of the variation in leverage related to country factors is explained by known macroeconomic and institutional factors, while the remainder is explained by unmeasurable institutional differences (e.g. law and enforcement). These findings are in line with the results forWestern European countries in Joeveer (2005) and show that country characteristics are not more significant determinants of leverage in these transition economies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murray Z. Frank & Vidhan K. Goyal, 2009.
"Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors Are Reliably Important?,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 1-37, 03.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2009. "Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors are Reliably Important?," MPRA Paper 22525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nivorozhkin, Eugene, 2005. "Financing choices of firms in EU accession countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 138-169, June.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2003.
"Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 185-212, March.
- Giannetti, M., 2000. "Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices," Papers 376, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Mariassunta Giannetti, 2000. "Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problems? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 376, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Ongena, Steven, 2005.
"Financial integration and entrepreneurial activity: evidence from foreign bank entry in emerging markets,"
Working Paper Series
0498, European Central Bank.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Ongena, Steven, 2005. "Financial Integration and Entrepreneurial Activity: Evidence from Foreign Bank Entry in Emerging Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5151, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-275, May.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-691.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, . "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Banerjee, Saugata & Heshmati, Almas & Wihlborg, Clas, 1999. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 333, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 May 2000.
- Klapper, Leora & Sarria-Allende, Virginia & Sulla, Victor, 2002. "Small and medium size enterprise financing in Eastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2933, The World Bank.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-1460, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karin Jõeveer, 2013.
"What do we know about the capital structure of small firms?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 479-501, August.
- Karin Joeveer, 2005. "What Do We Know about the Capital Structure of Small Firms?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp283, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Ralph Haas & Marga Peeters, 2006. "The dynamic adjustment towards target capital structures of firms in transition economies ," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(1), pages 133-169, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.