An Approach to Reducing Bus Bunching
The tendency of buses to bunch is a problem that was defined almost 50 years ago. Since then, there has been a significant amount of work done on the problem; however, the tendency of the current literature is either to only focus on the surface causes or to rely on simulation to create results instead of model formulation. With GPS installed on many buses throughout the world, the data is only being used for monitoring and informing the user. This research proposes a new approach to solving the problem that uses the GPS data to directly counteract the cause of the bunching by allowing the buses to cooperate with each other and determine their speed based on relative position. A continuum approximation model is presented as a tool to systematically analyze the behavior of the system and test the proposed control. In order to validate the model and the control, a simulation tool is used to model the system in a more realistic, discrete way. The control is shown to produce bounded deviations in spacing consistent with those predicted by the model. The resulting bus system will not bunch with only a small reduction in commercial speed.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/uctc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohring, Herbert & Schroeter, John R. & Wiboonchutikula, Paitoon, 1987.
"The Values of Waiting Time, Travel Time, and a Seat on a Bus,"
Staff General Research Papers
11117, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Herbert Mohring & John Schroeter & Paitoon Wiboonchutikula, 1987. "The Values of Waiting Time, Travel Time, and a Seat on a Bus," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(1), pages 40-56, Spring.
- Strathman, James G. & Hopper, Janet R., 1993. "Empirical analysis of bus transit on-time performance," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 93-100, April.
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 2009. "A headway-based approach to eliminate bus bunching: Systematic analysis and comparisons," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 913-921, December.
- Rossetti, Manuel D. & Turitto, Timothy, 1998. "Comparing static and dynamic threshold based control strategies," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 607-620, November.
- Dessouky, Maged & Hall, Randolph & Zhang, Lei & Singh, Ajay, 2003. "Real-time control of buses for schedule coordination at a terminal," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 145-164, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:uctcwp:qt6zc5j8xg. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.