Edgeworth Cycles and Focal Prices: Computational Dynamic Markov Equilibria
Motivated by the discovery of apparent Edgeworth Cycles in many retail gasoline markets, this paper extends the Maskin & Tirole  theory Edgeworth Cycles to a wide range of more complicated and realistic settings. Taking a computational approach to search for Markov Perfect Equilibria, I examine models involving duopoly and triopoly, differentiation, capacity constraints, and different sharing rules, discount factors and initial beliefs about price leading behavior. I find Edgeworth Cycles equilibrium in many scenarios outside the homogenous-good Bertrand mold. Cycle characteristics and average markups depend on the scenario.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508|
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckert, Andrew, 2003. "Retail price cycles and the presence of small firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 151-170, February.
- Reynolds, Stanley S. & Wilson, Bart J., 2000. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Competition, Demand Uncertainty, and Asymmetric Outcomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 122-141, May.
- Kovenock, D. & Roy, S., 1995.
"Dynamic Capacity Choice in a Bertrand-Edgeworth Framework,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1080, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Kovenock, Dan & Roy, Suddhasatwa, 1998. "Dynamic capacity choice in a Bertrand-Edgeworth frameqork," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 135-160, March.
- Jean-Pierre Benoit & Vijay Krishna, 1987. "Dynamic Duopoly: Prices and Quantities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 23-35.
- Andrew Eckert, 2002. "Retail price cycles and response asymmetry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 52-77, February.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 2001.
"Markov Perfect Equilibrium: I. Observable Actions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 191-219, October.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Markov Perfect Equilibrium, I: Observable Actions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1799, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Pakes, Ariel, 2007.
"A Framework for Applied Dynamic Analysis in IO,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- Godby, R. & Stengos, T. & Wandsschneider, B., 1997.
"Testing for Asymmetric Pricing in the Canadian Retail Gasoline Market,"
1997-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Godby, Rob & Lintner, Anastasia M. & Stengos, Thanasis & Wandschneider, Bo, 2000. "Testing for asymmetric pricing in the Canadian retail gasoline market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 349-368, June.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Saloner, Garth, 1986. "A Supergame-Theoretic Model of Price Wars during Booms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 390-407, June.
- William A. Brock & José A. Scheinkman, 1985. "Price Setting Supergames with Capacity Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 371-382.
- Brown-Kruse, Jamie, et al, 1994. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Competition in Experimental Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 343-72, March.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1987. "Interfirm Rivalry in a Repeated Game: An Empirical Test of Tacit Collusion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 499-516, June.
- Margaret E. Slade, 1992. "Vancouver's Gasoline-Price Wars: An Empirical Exercise in Uncovering Supergame Strategies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 257-276.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt59t3g818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.