Selling gasoline as a by-product: The impact of market structure on local prices
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich & Siekmann, Manuel, 2017. "Selling Gasoline as a By-Product: The Impact of Market Structure on Local Prices," Annual Conference 2017 (Vienna): Alternative Structures for Money and Banking 168198, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
References listed on IDEAS
- David P. Byrne, & Gordon Leslie, 2013. "How do Co nsumers Respond to Gasoline," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1176, The University of Melbourne.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012. "Less pain at the pump? The effects of regulatory interventions in retail gasoline markets," DICE Discussion Papers 51, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- David P. Byrne, Gordon W. Leslie, and Roger Ware, 2015. "How do Consumers Respond to Gasoline Price Cycles?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1).
- Saul Lach & JosÃ© L. Moragaâ€ GonzÃ¡lez, 2017.
"Asymmetric Price Effects of Competition,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 767-803, December.
- Saul Lach & Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2009. "Asymmetric Price Effects of Competition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-049/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lach, Saul & Moraga-González, José-Luis, 2015. "Asymmetric Price Effects of Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 10456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lach, Saul & Moraga, Jose L., 2009. "Asymmetric price effects of competition," IESE Research Papers D/797, IESE Business School.
- repec:taf:apeclt:v:24:y:2017:i:5:p:302-305 is not listed on IDEAS
- Severin Boreinstein & Andrea Shepard, 1996.
"Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gasoline Markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(3), pages 429-451, Autumn.
- Borenstein, S. & Shepard, A., 1993. "Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gazoline Markets," Papers 93-22, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Severin Borenstein & Andrea Shepard, 1993. "Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gasoline Markets," NBER Working Papers 4489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David P. Byrne, 2012. "Petrol Price Cycles," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 45(4), pages 497-506, December.
- Dieter Pennerstorfer & Philipp Schmidt-Dengler & Nicolas Schutz & Christoph R. Weiss & Biliana Yontcheva, 2015.
"Information and Price Dispersion. Theory and Evidence,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Schmidt-Dengler, Philipp & Schutz, Nicolas & Weiss, Christoph & Yontcheva, Biliana, 2015. "Information and Price Dispersion: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 10771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Esteban Carranza & Robert Clark & Jean-François Houde, 2015. "Price Controls and Market Structure: Evidence from Gasoline Retail Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 152-198, March.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, May.
- Matthew Lewis, 2008. "PRICE DISPERSION AND COMPETITION WITH DIFFERENTIATED SELLERS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 654-678, September.
- Alex Kihm & Nolan Ritter & Colin Vance, 2016. "Is the German Retail Gasoline Market Competitive? A Spatial-Temporal Analysis Using Quantile Regression," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 92(4), pages 718-736.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1988. "A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, II: Price Competition, Kinked Demand Curves, and Edgeworth Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 571-599, May.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Jörn-Steffen Pischke, 2009. "Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8769.
- Asane-Otoo, Emmanuel & Schneider, Jan, 2015. "Retail fuel price adjustment in Germany: A threshold cointegration approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 1-10.
- Ralf Dewenter & Ulrich Heimeshoff & Hendrik Lüth, 2017.
"The impact of the market transparency unit for fuels on gasoline prices in Germany,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 302-305, March.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Heimeshoff, Ulrich & Lüth, Hendrik, 2016. "The impact of the market transparency unit for fuels on gasoline prices in Germany," DICE Discussion Papers 220, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Michael D. Noel, 2007. "Edgeworth Price Cycles, Cost-Based Pricing, and Sticky Pricing in Retail Gasoline Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 324-334, May.
- Hosken, Daniel S. & McMillan, Robert S. & Taylor, Christopher T., 2008. "Retail gasoline pricing: What do we know?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1425-1436, November.
- repec:taf:apeclt:v:23:y:2016:i:10:p:713-717 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul R. Zimmerman, 2012. "The Competitive Impact of Hypermarket Retailers on Gasoline Prices," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 27-41.
- Justine S. Hastings, 2004. "Vertical Relationships and Competition in Retail Gasoline Markets: Empirical Evidence from Contract Changes in Southern California," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 317-328, March.
- Eckert, Andrew & West, Douglas S., 2005. "Price uniformity and competition in a retail gasoline market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 219-237, February.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1987. "Interfirm Rivalry in a Repeated Game: An Empirical Test of Tacit Collusion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 499-516, June.
- John Simpson & Christopher Taylor, 2008. "Do Gasoline Mergers Affect Consumer Prices? The Marathon Ashland Petroleum and Ultramar Diamond Shamrock Transaction," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(1), pages 135-152, February.
- Zimmerman, Paul R., 2009. "The competitive impact of hypermarket retailers on gasoline prices," MPRA Paper 20248, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benjamin Atkinson, 2008. "On Retail Gasoline Pricing Websites: Potential Sample Selection Biases and Their Implications for Empirical Research," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(2), pages 161-175, September.
- Zhongmin Wang, 2009. "(Mixed) Strategy in Oligopoly Pricing: Evidence from Gasoline Price Cycles Before and Under a Timing Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(6), pages 987-1030, December.
- Eckert, Andrew, 2003. "Retail price cycles and the presence of small firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 151-170, February.
- Isakower, Sean & Wang, Zhongmin, 2014. "A comparison of regular price cycles in gasoline and liquefied petroleum gas," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 445-454.
- Andrea Shepard, 1993. "Contractual Form, Retail Price, and Asset Characteristics in Gasoline Retailing," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(1), pages 58-77, Spring.
- Margaret E. Slade, 1992. "Vancouver's Gasoline-Price Wars: An Empirical Exercise in Uncovering Supergame Strategies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 257-276.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:bla:labour:v:32:y:2018:i:1:p:1-22 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anna Goeddeke & Justus Haucap & Annika Herr & Christian Wey, 2018.
"Flexibility in Wage Setting Under the Threat of Relocation,"
CEIS, vol. 32(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Goeddeke, Anna & Haucap, Justus & Herr, Annika & Wey, Christian, 2017. "Flexibility in wage setting under the threat of relocation," DICE Discussion Papers 269, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Bonnet, Céline & Schain, Jan Philip, 2017.
"An empirical analysis of mergers: Efficiency gains and impact on consumer prices,"
DICE Discussion Papers
244, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Bonnet, Céline & Schain, Jan Philip, 2017. "An Empirical Analysis of Mergers: Efficiency Gains and Impact on Consumer Prices," TSE Working Papers 17-765, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Siekmann, Manuel, 2017. "Characteristics, causes, and price effects: Empirical evidence of intraday Edgeworth cycles," DICE Discussion Papers 252, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
More about this item
KeywordsGasoline Markets; Intraday Pricing; Supermarkets; Difference-in-Difference;
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L71 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Mining, Extraction, and Refining: Hydrocarbon Fuels
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2017-01-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2017-01-01 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2017-01-01 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-IND-2017-01-01 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2017-01-01 (Marketing)
- NEP-TRE-2017-01-01 (Transport Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dicedp:240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/diduede.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.