Shareholder Value or Public Purpose? From John Maynard Keynes and Adolf Berle to the Modern Debate
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Sue Konzelmann & Frank Wilkinson & Marc Fovargue-Davies & Duncan Sankey, 2010. "Governance, regulation and financial market instability: the implications for policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(5), pages 929-954.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1904. "Theory of Business Enterprise," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1904.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1921. "The Engineers and the Price System," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1921.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Marc Goergen & Christine A. Mallin & Eve Mitleton-Kelly & Ahmed Al-Hawamdeh & Iris H-Y Chiu, 2010. "Corporate Governance and Complexity Theory," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13927.
- Tae-Hee Jo, 2013. "Saving Private Business Enterprises," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(2), pages 447-467, April.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2005. "From Practice to Theory of the International Joint Ventures," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 44-77.
- Johan E. Eklund, 2009.
"Corporate Governance and Investments in Scandinavia – Ownership Concentration and Dual-Class Equity Structure,"
Chapters, in: Per-Olof Bjuggren & Dennis C. Mueller (ed.), The Modern Firm, Corporate Governance and Investment, chapter 7,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Eklund, Johan E., 2007. "Corporate Governance and Investments in Scandinavia - ownership concentration and dual-class equity structure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 98, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Mark Gertler, 1988.
"Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview,"
Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-588, August.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," NBER Working Papers 2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davanzati, Guglielmo Forges, 2018. "Structural change driven by institutions: Thorstein veblen revised," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 105-110.
- Hugh Whittaker, 2017. "Premature financialization: a conceptual exploration," Working Papers halshs-01680406, HAL.
- Jo, Tae-Hee, 2011. "Heterodox Critiques of Corporate Social Responsibility," MPRA Paper 35367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tae-Hee Jo, 2011. "A Heterodox Microfoundation of Business Cycles," Chapters, in: Joëlle Leclaire & Tae-Hee Jo & Jane Knodell (ed.), Heterodox Analysis of Financial Crisis and Reform, chapter 9, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Helge Peukert, 2001. "On the Origins of Modern Evolutionary Economics: The Veblen Legend after 100 Years," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 543-555, September.
- Jo, Tae-Hee, 2013. "Uncertainty, Instability, and the Control of Markets," MPRA Paper 47936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andersson, Tord & Haslam, Colin & Lee, Edward & Katechos, George & Tsitsianis, Nick, 2010. "Corporate strategy financialized: Conjuncture, arbitrage and earnings capacity in the S&P500," Accounting forum, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 211-221.
- James V. Cornehls, 2004. "Veblen’s Theory of Finance Capitalism and Contemporary Corporate America," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 29-58, March.
- William M. Dugger, 2005. "Dugger’s Theorem: The Free Market Is Impossible," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 309-324, June.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2015. "A Veblenian articulation of the monetary theory of production," Working Papers PKWP1501, Post Keynesian Economics Society (PKES).
- Clare Virginia Eby, 1998. "Veblen’s Assault on Time," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 689-707, September.
- Alexandre Chirat, 2021. "When Berle and Galbraith brought political economy back to life : Study of a cross-fertilization (1933-1967)," EconomiX Working Papers 2021-27, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Tae-Hee Jo, 2019.
"The Institutionalist Theory of the Business Enterprise: Past, Present, and Future,"
Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(3), pages 597-611, July.
- Jo, Tae-Hee, 2018. "The Institutionalist Theory of the Business Enterprise: Past, Present, and Future," MPRA Paper 84036, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tae-Hee Jo & John F. Henry, 2015. "The Business Enterprise in the Age of Money Manager Capitalism," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Theofanis Papageorgiou & Ioannis Katselidis & Panayotis G. Michaelides, 2013. "Schumpeter, Commons, and Veblen on Institutions," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(5), pages 1232-1254, November.
More about this item
KeywordsCorporate purpose; shareholder primacy; John Maynard Keynes; Adolf Berle;
All these keywords.
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2021-06-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2021-06-28 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2021-06-28 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2021-06-28 (Post Keynesian Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Ruth Newman/William Kerslake (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.