Evolution of India’s Electricity Market Deregulation and Private Sector Investment in the Power Sector(withdrawn for review)
The 11th India’s Economic Development Plan (2007-12) proposes a very ambitious goal of “Power for all”: supplying electricity to all Indian households without interruption by the end of the Plan in 2012. Currently, the potential demand for electricity in India exceeds supply by about 15%, resulting in regular power cuts for households, businesses and industries. The 11th Plan anticipates the generation capacity to surpass 225 GW in 2012, requiring investment of approximately US$175-215 billion: 60% of which will be invested in adding new generation capacity and the rest 40% will be directed towards the transmission and distribution (T&D) infrastructure. The ambitious goal of $175-215 billion investment in electricity sector in the 11th plan (2007-2012) and estimated roughly $300 billion investment for 2012-2017 seems to be a right step for sustaining high economic growth. This creates major economic opportunities for domestic and international investors and project developers. This paper presents a summary of the evolution of power sector market reforms and their implications for the private sector investment. The paper first analyzes the electricity markets, regulations, and generation in India, with emphasis on assessing the options available to enhance the economic efficiency, and then moves forward to empirically testing the two hypothesized models. The paper then reports on an empirical assessment of the effects of domestic credit, interest rates, inflation, exchange rate, and current account balance on the gross capital formation and investment responsiveness in the electricity sector. Study results show that the availability of domestic credit normally exerts a significant and strong positive influence on both the gross capital formation and electricity investments by Independent Power Producers. Interest rate and inflation have significantly negative influences on the private sector investment in the power sector. Thus to accelerate private investment in this sector, Indian governments need to address the macroeconomic issues, or at least take measures to mitigate their adverse impacts on electricity sector investments. Also, the governments need to address the issues of electricity sector market, institutional and structural reforms in order to increase power generation and transmission capacities for meeting electricity demands, accelerating economic growth, creating jobs and achieving environmental sustainability.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||17 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published: Carleton Economic Papers|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C870 Loeb Building, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharya, Soma & Cropper, Maureen L., 2010. "Options for Energy Efficiency in India and Barriers to Their Adoption: A Scoping Study," Discussion Papers dp-10-20, Resources For the Future.
- Singh, Anoop, 2006. "Power sector reform in India: current issues and prospects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2480-2490, November.
- Sharma, D. Parameswara & Nair, P. S. Chandramohanan & Balasubramanian, R., 2005. "Performance of Indian power sector during a decade under restructuring: a critique," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 563-576, March.
- Singh, Anoop, 2010. "Towards a competitive market for electricity and consumer choice in the Indian power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4196-4208, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:car:carecp:11-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Robineau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.