Competitive Bank Monies: Reconsidering Hayek and Klein from a Transactions Perspective
In this paper the case made by Klein (1975) and Hayek (1976) for competitive bank monies is reconsidered. To do so we build a model of the demand for bank money that derives from money’s ability to separate commodity purchases from sales across time and so avoid the trading costs implied by barter and the double coincidence of wants. Such a model allows us to view the bank cheating or time inconsistency problem alleged to undermine the case for free banking as part of a larger concern with the creation and maintenance of bank quality in a competitive banking environment. As such it helps to further refine the circumstances under which competition is and is not consistent with optimal money provision and stable money prices.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2003|
|Publication status:||Published: Carleton Economic Papers|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C870 Loeb Building, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa Ontario, K1S 5B6 Canada|
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saving, Thomas R, 1971. "Transactions Costs and the Demand for Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 407-420, June.
- J. Stephen Ferris, 1981. "A Transactions Theory of Trade Credit Use," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 243-270.
- Ritter, Joseph A, 1995.
"The Transition from Barter to Fiat Money,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-149, March.
- J. S. Ferris & J. A. Galbraith, 2003. "Indirect convertibility as a money rule for inflation targeting," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 753-761.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-641, August.
- Jones, Robert A, 1976. "The Origin and Development of Media of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 757-775, August.
- Joel Fried, 1973. "Money, Exchange And Growth," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 11(3), pages 285-301, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:car:carecp:03-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Robineau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.