Technical efficiency in electricity generation - the impact of smallness and isolation of island economies
This paper conducts a comparative technical efficiency analysis of electricity generators in 16 small island economies using panel data, and two methodologies: data envelopment analysis (DEA) and stochastic frontier analysis (SFA). The results indicate neither apparent differences in the production structure between islands and non-islands electric utilities, nor any evidence suggesting that they are less technically efficient. At a theoretical level, our results suggest that benchmarking of small islands, using non-island generating utilities as comparators, is both feasible and desirable given the lack of historical generation data for most small islands. On a more empirical basis, our study bridges an important gap in research on the efficiency of small and interconnected electricity systems.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollitt, M.G., 1995.
"Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9518, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-60, April.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Schmidt, Peter & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1980. "Estimating stochastic production and cost frontiers when technical and allocative inefficiency are correlated," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 83-100, May.
- Mayer, Peter C., 2000. "Reliability economies of scale for tropical island electric power," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 319-330, June.
- Ali Emami Meibodi, 1998. "Efficiency Considerations in the Electricity Supply Industry; The Case of Iran," Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS) 95, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-23, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.