Input and output technical efficiency and total factor productivity of wheat production in Tunisia
This paper investigates farm level technical efficiency of production and its determinants in a sample of 51 cereal producing farms in Tunisia that focus on wheat production. The empirical findings show that the labor input factor has a minimal effect on production. In addition, the technical efficiency of wheat production in the sample varied widely, ranging from 52.63 to 94.62%, with a mean value of 77%. This suggests that, on average, wheat producing farmers could increase their production by as much as 23% through more efficient use of production inputs. The results of Timmer and Kopp indexes of technical inefficiency show that the level of inefficiency was related to farm size: small and large farms were shown to be more technically efficient than medium-sized farms. Alternatively, inputs could be reduced by 17% on average to produce the same quantity of wheat output. These results call for policies aimed at providing training programs and extension services and improving input management by wheat farmers.
Volume (Year): 07 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya|
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org/afjare
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bakhshoodeh, Mohammad & Thomson, Kenneth J., 2001. "Input and output technical efficiencies of wheat production in Kerman, Iran," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(3), March.
- Nigel Key & William McBride, 2003. "Production Contracts and Productivity in the U.S. Hog Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 121-133.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996.
"Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia,"
Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 113-126, November.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996. "Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-286, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-723, August.
- Raymond J. Kopp, 1981. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: A Reconsideration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 477-503.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:afjare:156975. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.