Vertical relations and number of channels in quality-differentiated markets
Double marginalization causes inefficiencies in vertical markets. This paper argues that such inefficiencies may be beneficial to final consumers in markets producing vertically differentiated goods. The rationale behind this result is that enhancing efficiency in high-quality supply chains through vertical integration may drive out of the market low-quality ones, thus affecting market structure. As a consequence, restoring-efficiency vertical integration may reduce consumer surplus, even in the absence of foreclosure strategies by the newly integrated firms. From a policy standpoint, our paper suggests that input and/or customer foreclosure should not be considered as the only source of antitrust concern when assessing the effects of vertical integration.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Church & Neil Gandal, 2000.
"Systems Competition, Vertical Merger, and Foreclosure,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 25-51, 03.
- Church, J. & Gandal, N., 1996. "Systems Competition, Vertical Merger and Foreclosure," Papers 6-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- C. Robert Clark & Mattias K. Polborn, 2011. "Strategic Buying to Prevent Seller Exit," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 339-378, 06.
- Avenel, E. & Caprice, S., 2006. "Upstream market power and product line differentiation in retailing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 319-334, March.
- Lynne Pepall & George Norman, 2001.
"Product Differentiation and Upstream-Downstream Relations,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 201-233, 06.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall, 2000. "Product Differentiation and Upstream-Downstream Relations," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0010, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Bonroy, O. & Lemarié, S., 2010.
"Downstream labeling and upstream price competition,"
201001, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Bonroy, Olivier & Lemarié, Stéphane, 2012. "Downstream labeling and upstream price competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 347-360.
- Wauthy, Xavier, 1996.
"Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 345-53, September.
- Wauthy, X., 1994. "Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & TURRINI, Alessandro, 1997. "Workersâ€™ skills, product quality and industry equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers 1997055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Avenel, 2008. "STRATEGIC VERTICAL INTEGRATION WITHOUT FORECLOSURE -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 247-262, 06.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Price competition, quality and income disparities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Battigalli, Pierpaolo & Fumagalli, Chiara & Polo, Michele, 2007.
"Buyer power and quality improvements,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 45-61, June.
- Pierpaolo Battigalli & Chiara Fumagalli & Michele Polo, 2006. "Buyer Power and Quality Improvement," Working Papers 310, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Battigalli, Pierpaolo & Fumagalli, Chiara & Polo, Michele, 2006. "Buyer Power and Quality Improvements," CEPR Discussion Papers 5814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Hernan & Praveen Kujal, 2006.
"Vertical Integration, Market Foreclosure And Quality Investment,"
Economics Working Papers
we061405, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Roberto Hernán González & Praveen Kujal, 2012. "Vertical integration, market foreclosure and quality investment," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-20, April.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, .
"Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1720, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2003. "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 523-545, August.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2000. "Product Differentiation in Successive Vertical Oligopolies," Working Papers 421, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp823. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.