On the optimal mix of fiscal and monetary policy actions
We study optimized monetary and fiscal feedback policy rules. The setup is a conventional New Keynesian DSGE model calibrated to match data from the euro area. Our aim is to welfare rank alternative tax-spending policy instruments used for shock stabilization and/or debt consolidation when, at the same time, the monetary authorities follow a Taylor rule for the interest rate.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katharine S. Neiss & Evi Pappa, 2005. "Persistence without too much price stickiness: the role of variable factor utilization," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(1), pages 231-255, January.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002.
"Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004. "Solving dynamic general equilibrium models using a second-order approximation to the policy function," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 755-775, January.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," Departmental Working Papers 200106, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thanassis Kazanas & Apostolis Philippopoulos & Elias Tzavalis, 2011. "Monetary Policy Rules And Business Cycle Conditions," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(s2), pages 73-97, 09.
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Pappa, Evi & Vassilatos, Vanghelis, 2007.
"The unbearable tightness of being in a monetary union: Fiscal restrictions and regional stability,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1492-1513, August.
- Evi Pappa, 2004. "The unbearable tightness of being in a monetary union : fiscal restrictions and regional stability," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 510, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Evi Pappa, 2005. "The Unbearable Tightness of Being in a Monetary Union: Fiscal Restrictions and Regional Stability"," Working Papers 294, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Eric M. Leeper & Michael Plante & Nora Traum, 2009.
"Dynamics Of Fiscal Financing In The United States,"
Caepr Working Papers
2009-012, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Simon Wren-Lewis, 2010. "Macroeconomic policy in light of the credit crunch: the return of counter-cyclical fiscal policy?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 71-86, Spring.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2006.
"Linear-Quadratic Approximation of Optimal Policy Problems,"
NBER Working Papers
12672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Woodford, Michael, 2012. "Linear-quadratic approximation of optimal policy problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 1-42.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Woodford, Michael, 2006. "Linear-Quadratic Approximation of Optimal Policy Problems," CEPR Discussion Papers 5964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernhard Herz & Stefan Hohberger, 2013.
"Fiscal Policy, Monetary Regimes and Current Account Dynamics,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 118-136, 02.
- Hohberger, Stefan & Herz, Bernhard, 2012. "Fiscal Policy, Monetary Regimes and Current Account Dynamics," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 66054, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Leith, Campbell & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2008.
"Interactions between monetary and fiscal policy under flexible exchange rates,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2854-2882, September.
- Leith, Campbell & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2003. "Interactions Between Monetary and Fiscal Policy Under Flexible Exchange Rates," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 134, Royal Economic Society.
- Campbell Leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, . "Interactions Between Monetary and Fiscal Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates," Working Papers 2002_11, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- G�nter Coenen & Christopher J. Erceg & Charles Freedman & Davide Furceri & Michael Kumhof & Ren� Lalonde & Douglas Laxton & Jesper Lind� & Annabelle Mourougane & Dirk Muir & Susanna Mursula & Carlos d, 2012.
"Effects of Fiscal Stimulus in Structural Models,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 22-68, January.
- Michael Kumhof & Dirk Muir & Carlos de Resende & Jan in â€˜t Veld & RenÃ© Lalonde & Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane & John Roberts & Stephen Snudden & Mathias Trabandt & GÃ¼nter Coenen & Susanna, 2010. "Effects of Fiscal Stimulus in Structural Models," IMF Working Papers 10/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Tatiana Kirsanova & Campbell Leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2009. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction: The Current Consensus Assignment in the Light of Recent Developments," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(541), pages F482-F496, November.
- Malley, Jim & Philippopoulos, Apostolis & Woitek, Ulrich, 2009. "To react or not? Technology shocks, fiscal policy and welfare in the EU-3," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 689-714, August.
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman & Nicoletta Batini, 2009. "Monetary and Fiscal Rules in an Emerging Small Open Economy," IMF Working Papers 09/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Cristiano Cantore & Paul Levine & Giovanni Melina & Joseph Pearlman, 2013. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Rules in Normal and Abnormal Times," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0513, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- David B. Gordon & Eric M. Leeper, 2005. "Are Countercyclical Fiscal Policies Counterproductive?," NBER Working Papers 11869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.