Should the joint provision of credit insurance with unsecured lending be prohibited? An examination of the UK payment protection insurance market
This study examines whether the recent UK regulatory decision to introduce a blanket ban on the joint provision of consumer lending and credit insurance was justified. This case has wide regulatory implications following international concerns that the sale of credit insurance has been detrimental to customers due to overpriced credit insurance and a possible cross subsidy from credit insurance to unsecured lending. To explore this issue a theoretical model is developed considering why a cross-subsidy from credit insurance to unsecured loans would develop in these markets and whether the prohibition of joint sales would limit this practice. The presence of cross-subsidies is empirically examined indicating that while many banks do cross-subsidise unsecured lending through high credit insurance costs this behaviour is not a universal practice across all suppliers and at all times. This result is examined for all sample banks and a range of sub-samples to control for possible influences on credit insurance costs.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 1248 383648
Web page: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John, 2006.
3157877, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Thomas A. Durkin, 2002. "Consumers and credit disclosures: credit cards and credit insurance," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Apr, pages 201-213.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2007.
"Is there a diversification discount in financial conglomerates?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 331-367, August.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005. "Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2005. "Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?," NBER Working Papers 11499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ranyard, Rob & Hinkley, Lisa & Williamson, Janis & McHugh, Sandie, 2006. "The role of mental accounting in consumer credit decision processes," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 571-588, August.
- Baele, Lieven & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2007. "Does the stock market value bank diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1999-2023, July.
- Chen, Yongmin, 1997. "Equilibrium Product Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 85-103, January.
- Xavier Gabaix & John C. Driscoll & David Laibson & Sumit Agarwal, 2008.
"The Age of Reason: Financial Decisions Over the Lifecycle,"
2008 Meeting Papers
322, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C. Driscoll & Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2007. "The Age of Reason: Financial Decisions Over the Lifecycle," NBER Working Papers 13191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C. Driscoll & Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2007. "The age of reason: financial decisions over the lifecycle," Working Paper Series WP-07-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sumit Agarwal & John C Driscoll & Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2007. "The Age of Reason: Financial Decisions Over the Lifecycle," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001752, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jason F. Shogren, 1990.
"Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
90-wp53, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1990. "Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk (The)," Staff General Research Papers 297, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
- Mercieca, Steve & Schaeck, Klaus & Wolfe, Simon, 2007. "Small European banks: Benefits from diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1975-1998, July.
- L. Paige Fields & Donald R. Fraser & James W. Kolari, 2007. "Is Bancassurance a Viable Model for Financial Firms?," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(4), pages 777-794.
- Pryce, Gwilym, 2002. "Theory and Estimation of the Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance Decision," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(2), pages 216-34, May.
- Schmid, Markus M. & Walter, Ingo, 2009. "Do financial conglomerates create or destroy economic value?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 193-216, April.
- Lepetit, Laetitia & Nys, Emmanuelle & Rous, Philippe & Tarazi, Amine, 2008. "The expansion of services in European banking: Implications for loan pricing and interest margins," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2325-2335, November.
- Carbo Valverde, Santiago & Rodriguez Fernandez, Francisco, 2007. "The determinants of bank margins in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2043-2063, July.
- Marianne A. Hilgert & Jeanne M. Hogarth & Sondra G. Beverly, 2003. "Household financial management: the connection between knowledge and behavior," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 309-322.
- Abdullah Mamun & M. Hassan & Son Lai, 2004. "The impact of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act on the financial services industry," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 333-347, September.
- Shogren, Jason F, 1990. " The Impact of Self-protection and Self-insurance on Individual Response to Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 191-204, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bng:wpaper:11008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.