A Quantitative Look at the Italian Banking System: Evidence from a New Dataset since 1861
Building on a new dataset on Italian banks and other financial institutions from 1861 to 2011, the novelty of this paper is to examine the patterns of the main items of bank's balance sheets, such as deposits, capital and reserves, bonds issued, bonds held in portfolio, and loans for a period of 150 years. The long time behaviour of credit maturity, postal savings, State ownership of banks, and bank interest rates is also studied.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riccardo De Bonis & Matteo Piazza & Roberto Tedeschi, 2012. "The perverse effect of government credit subsidies on banking risk," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 68, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Fratianni,Michele & Spinelli,Franco, 2005.
"A Monetary History of Italy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521023450.
- Fratianni,Michele & Spinelli,Franco, 1997. "A Monetary History of Italy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443159.
- Marcello de Cecco, 2011. "The Italian Economy Seen from Abroad over 150 Years," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 21, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alberto Baffigi, 2011. "Italian National Accounts, 1861-2011," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 18, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fohlin, Caroline, 1999. "Capital mobilisation and utilisation in latecomer economies: Germany and Italy compared," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 139-174, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)