Mergers and Acquisitions in the Spanish Banking Industry: some Empirical Evidence
Since the late eighties, the Spanish banking system has been undergoing major changes that have affected both its structure and the nature of strategic interaction among banking institutions. Various different strategies have been adopted to tackle the demands of this new operating environment, one such strategy having been consolidation via mergers and acquisitions. This paper attempts to provide some empirical evidence on the impact of the consolidation process on the monetary transmission mechanism, the degree of competition in banking markets and the performance of banking institutions.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tobin, James, 1982. " The Commercial Banking Firm: A Simple Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 495-530.
- Joaquín Maudos, 1996. "Eficiencia, cambio técnico y productividad en el sector bancario español: una aproximación de frontera estocástica," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(3), pages 339-358, September.
- Rhoades, Stephen A., 1998. "The efficiency effects of bank mergers: An overview of case studies of nine mergers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 273-291, March.
- Jaumandreu, Jordi & Lorences, Joaquin, 2002. "Modelling price competition across many markets (An application to the Spanish loans market)," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 93-115, January.
- Luis Orea Sánchez & Rafael Álvarez Cuesta, 1998. "- Firm-Specific Temporal Variation In Technical Efficency Results Of: A Stochastic Output Distance Function," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Abbott, Thomas III, 1994. "Observed price dispersion: Product heterogeneity, regional markets, or local market power?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 21-37, February.
- Mark Bils, 1989. "Cyclical Pricing of Durable Goods," NBER Working Papers 3050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:9924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.