Money and Costly Credit
I study an economy in which money and credit coexist as means of payment and the settlement of credit requires money. The model extends recent developments in microfounded monetary theory to address the choice of payment methods and the effects of inflation. Whether a buyer uses money or credit depends on the fixed cost of credit and the inflation rate. In particular, inflation not only makes money less valuable, but also makes credit more expensive because of delayed settlement. Based on quantitative analysis, the model suggests that the relationship between inflation and credit exhibits an inverse U-shape which is broadly consistent with anecdotal evidence. Compared to an economy without credit, allowing credit as a means of payment has three implications:  it lowers money demand at low to moderate inflation rates;  it improves society’s welfare when the inflation rate exceeds a specific threshold; and  it can raise the welfare cost of inflation for some reasonable values of the credit cost parameter.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Boyd & Bruce Champ, 2003. "Inflation and financial market performance: what have we learned in the last ten years," Working Paper 0317, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Gabriele Camera & Christopher Waller, .
"Money, Credit and Banking,"
IEW - Working Papers
219, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Miquel Faig & Belen Jerez, 2006.
"Precautionary Balances and the Velocity of Circulation of Money,"
2006 Meeting Papers
457, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Miquel Faig & Belén Jerez, 2007. "Precautionary Balances and the Velocity of Circulation of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 843-873, 06.
- Miquel Faig & Belén Jerez, 2006. "Precautionary Balances and the Velocity of Circulation of Money," Working Papers tecipa-188, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Miquel Faig & Belén Jerez, 2005. "Precautionary Balances And The Velocity Of Circulation Of Money," Economics Working Papers we051406, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Klee, Elizabeth, 2008. "How people pay: Evidence from grocery store data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 526-541, April.
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de O & Wallace, Neil, 1999.
"Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 443-57, August.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "Inside and outside money as alternative media of exchange," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 443-468.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Schreft, Stacey L., 1996. "Money and credit as means of payment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 3-23, August.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2006.
"A Model of Money and Credit, with Application to the Credit Card Debt Puzzle,"
2006 Meeting Papers
45, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2008. "A Model of Money and Credit, with Application to the Credit Card Debt Puzzle," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 629-647.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2007. "A model of money and credit, with application to the credit card debt puzzle," Working Paper 0711, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Mills, David C., 2007.
"A Model In Which Outside And Inside Money Are Essential,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 347-366, June.
- David C. Mills, Jr., 2006. "A model in which outside and inside money are essential," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Williamson, Stephen & Sanches, Daniel, 2009.
"Money and Credit With Limited Commitment and Theft,"
20690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanches, Daniel & Williamson, Stephen, 2010. "Money and credit with limited commitment and theft," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(4), pages 1525-1549, July.
- Sun, Hongfei, 2007.
"Banking, Inside Money and Outside Money,"
4504, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998.
"Transaction services, inflation, and welfare,"
241, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Braum, T. & Eckstein, Z., 1995. "Transaction Services, Inflation and Welfare," Papers 27-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1995. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Working Papers 551, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- John V. Duca & William C. Whitesell, 1991.
"Credit cards and money demand: a cross-sectional study,"
9112, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Duca, John V & Whitesell, William C, 1995. "Credit Cards and Money Demand: A Cross-sectional Study," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 604-23, May.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ferraris, Leo, 2010. "On the complementarity of money and credit," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 733-741, July.
- Monnet, Cyril & Roberds, William, 2008. "Optimal pricing of payment services," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1428-1440, November.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- Freeman, Scott & Huffman, Gregory W, 1991. "Inside Money, Output, and Causality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 645-67, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:11-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.