Communal Responsibility and the Coexistence of Money and Credit Under Anonymous Matching
Communal responsibility, a medieval institution studied by Greif (2006), supported the use of credit among European merchants in the absence of modern enforcement technologies. This paper shows how this mechanism helps to overcome enforcement problems in anonymous buyer/seller transactions. In a village economy version of the Lagos and Wright (2005) model, agents trading anonymously in decentralized markets can be identified by their citizenship and thus be held liable for each other. Enforceability within each village's centralized afternoon market ensures collateralization of credit in decentralized markets. In the resulting equilibrium, money and credit coexist in decentralized markets if the use of credit is costly. Our analysis easily extends itself to other payment systems like credit cards that provide a group identity to otherwise anonymous agents.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de O & Wallace, Neil, 1999.
"Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 443-57, August.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "Inside and outside money as alternative media of exchange," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 443-468.
- Belen Jerez & Miquel Faig, 2005.
"Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search,"
2005 Meeting Papers
462, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Faig Miquel & Jerez Belén, 2006. "Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-34, September.
- Jerez, Belén & Faig, Miquel, 2005. "Inflation, prices, and information in competitive search," UC3M Working papers. Economics we051708, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Miquel Faig & Belén Jerez, 2006. "Inflation, Prices, and Information in Competitive Search," Working Papers tecipa-215, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2006.
"A Model of Money and Credit, with Application to the Credit Card Debt Puzzle,"
2006 Meeting Papers
45, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2008. "A Model of Money and Credit, with Application to the Credit Card Debt Puzzle," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 629-647.
- Irina A. Telyukova & Randall Wright, 2007. "A model of money and credit, with application to the credit card debt puzzle," Working Paper 0711, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ping He & Lixin Huang & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money And Banking In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(2), pages 637-670, 05.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Gabriele Camera & Christopher Waller, .
"Money, Credit and Banking,"
IEW - Working Papers
219, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Dean Corbae, 1996.
"Money and finance with costly commitment,"
96-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Freeman, Scott & Huffman, Gregory W, 1991. "Inside Money, Output, and Causality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 645-67, August.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M. & Schreft, Stacey L., 1996. "Money and credit as means of payment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 3-23, August.
- Börner, Lars & Hatfield, John William, 2010. "The economics of debt clearing mechanisms," Discussion Papers 2010/27, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.