Financing retirement with real estate assets: an analysis of Mexico
Real estate assets represent a major form of savings for families when they reach retirement age. Reverse mortgages are a financial product developed as an alternative way of generating flows of liquid income during retirement in some countries. As income during old age must be diversified from different sources, in this work we assess the potential of reverse mortgages as an alternative income stream in retirement. Our work focuses on Mexico, using projections of the replacement rate that would be received by an old-aged pensioner, only considering the pension from the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS), whilst incorporating annuity income from the reverse mortgage. Using a macroeconomic-actuarial model to generate projections, we found that these rates could be increased by 45 percentage points by incorporating annuity income from real estate assets. This result reinforces the concept of establishing not only policies focused on improving formal pension schemes, but also of making private financial mechanisms available to generate other adequate income flows for old age based on alternative assets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irina A. Telyukova & Makoto Nakajima, 2011.
"Reverse Mortgage Loans: A Quantitative Analysis,"
2011 Meeting Papers
387, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Makoto Nakajima & Irina A. Telyukova, 2013. "Reverse mortgage loans: a quantitative analysis," Working Papers 13-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Nakajima, Makoto & Telyukova, Irina A., 2014. "Reverse mortgage loans: a quantitative analysis," Working Papers 14-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hui Shan, 2009.
"Reversing the trend: the recent expansion of the reverse mortgage market,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2009-42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hui Shan, 2011. "Reversing the Trend: The Recent Expansion of the Reverse Mortgage Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 39(4), pages 743-768, December.
- Javier Alonso & Carmen Hoyo & David Tuesta, 2014. "A model for the pension system in Mexico: diagnosis and recommendations," Working Papers 1408, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbv:wpaper:1335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.