The Economics of Defence in France and the UK
France and the UK face similar geostrategic circumstances: both were once Great Powers and still retain their positions among the five permanent members of the UN Security Council. During the Cold War both were dwarfed by the super-powers and were thus extremely sensitive about their status: what the French called their grandeur and the British called their seat at the top table. Despite their strategic similarities, they have differed in many of their defence policy choices and in particular how they balanced their strategic aspirations with their limited financial resources. Thus a comparison of British and French defence policies provides a revealing case study of military choices.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith Hartley & Peter MacDonald, 2010. "Country Survey Xxi: The United Kingdom," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 43-63.
- Fanny Coulomb & Jacques Fontanel, 2005. "An Economic Interpretation Of French Military Expenditures," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 297-315.
- Brauer, Jurgen & van Tuyll, Hubert, 2008. "Castles, Battles, and Bombs," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226071633, January.
- Vincenzo Bove & Elisa Cavatorta, 2012. "From Conscription To Volunteers: Budget Shares In Nato Defence Spending," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(3), pages 273-288, February.
- Kapstein, Ethan B. & Oudot, Jean-Michel, 2009. "Reforming Defense Procurement: Lessons from France," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 1-25, August.
- Keith Hartley, 2008. "Collaboration And European Defence Industrial Policy," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 303-315.
- Kapstein Ethan B. & Oudot Jean-Michel, 2009. "Reforming Defense Procurement: Lessons from France," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-27, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:1304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.