A Note on the Finite Sample Properties of the CLS Method of TAR Models
In this paper we focus on the finite sample properties of the conditional least squares (CLS) method of threshold autoregressive (TAR) parameters under the following conditions: (a) non-Gaussian model innovations; (b) two types of asymmetry (i.e. deepness and steepness) captured by TAR models. It is clearly demonstrated that the finite sample properties of the CLS method of TAR parameters significantly differ depending on the type of asymmetry. The behavior of steepness-based models is very good compared to that obtained from deepness-based models. Therefore, extreme caution must be excercised to preliminary modelling steps, such as testing the type of asymmetry before estimating TAR models in practice. A mistake in this phase of modelling can, in turn, give rise to very problematic results.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria-Teresa Perez & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Jerry Coakley, 2001.
"Numerical Issues in Threshold Autoregressive Modelling of Time Series,"
wp01-09, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana-Maria & Perez, Maria-Teresa, 2003. "Numerical issues in threshold autoregressive modeling of time series," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11-12), pages 2219-2242, September.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana-Marı́a & Pérez, Marı́a-Teresa, 2003. "Numerical issues in threshold autoregressive modeling of time series," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2219-2242.
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-125, April-Jun.
- Sichel, D.E., 1988.
"Business Cycle Asymmetry: A Deeper Look,"
85, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-328, April.
- Sichel, Daniel E, 1989. "Are Business Cycles Asymmetric? A Correction," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1255-1260, October.
- Norman, Stephen, 2008. "Systematic small sample bias in two regime SETAR model estimation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 134-138, April.
- Randal Verbrugge Randal Verbrugge, 1997. "Investigating Cyclical Asymmetries," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-10, April.
- D. A. Peel & A. E. H. Speight, 1998. "Threshold nonlinearities in output: some international evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 323-333.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Peel, D A & Speight, A E H, 1998. "Modelling Business Cycle Nonlinearity in Conditional Mean and Conditional Variance: Some International and Sectoral Evidence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(258), pages 211-229, May.
- Amendola, Alessandra & Niglio, Marcella & Vitale, Cosimo, 2006. "The moments of SETARMA models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(6), pages 625-633, March.
- Kapetanios, George, 2000. "Small sample properties of the conditional least squares estimator in SETAR models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 267-276, December.
- W.A. Razzak, 2001.
"Business Cycle Asymmetries: International Evidence,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(1), pages 230-243, January.
- Weshah Razzak, 2001. "Triples Asymmetry Test for "Business Cycle Asymmetries: International Evidence"," Computer Codes razzak01, Review of Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:1206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.