The Foster-Hart Measure of Riskiness for General Gambles
Foster and Hart proposed an operational measure of riskiness for discrete random variables. We show that their defining equation has no solution for many common continuous distributions including many uniform distributions, e.g. We show how to extend consistently the definition of riskiness to continuous random variables. For many continuous random variables, the risk measure is equal to the worst--case risk measure, i.e. the maximal possible loss incurred by that gamble. We also extend the Foster--Hart risk measure to dynamic environments for general distributions and probability spaces, and we show that the extended measure avoids bankruptcy in infinitely repeated gambles.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Serrano & Robert J. Aumann, 2007.
"An Economic Index Of Riskiness,"
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Working Papers 2006-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An economic index of riskiness," Working Papers 2007-08, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Discussion Paper Series dp446, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000836, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000585, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Turan G. Bali & Nusret Cakici & Fousseni Chabi-Yo, 2011. "A Generalized Measure of Riskiness," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(8), pages 1406-1423, August.
- Sergiu Hart, 2011.
"Comparing Risks by Acceptance and Rejection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(4), pages 617 - 638.
- Hart, Sergiu & Foster, Dean P., 2013.
"A wealth-requirement axiomatization of riskiness,"
Econometric Society, vol. 8(2), May.
- Kai Detlefsen & Giacomo Scandolo, 2005. "Conditional and Dynamic Convex Risk Measures," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-006, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Dean P. Foster & Sergiu Hart, 2007.
"An Operational Measure of Riskiness,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp454, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Kai Detlefsen & Giacomo Scandolo, 2005. "Conditional and dynamic convex risk measures," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 539-561, October.
- Homm, Ulrich & Pigorsch, Christian, 2012. "An operational interpretation and existence of the Aumann–Serrano index of riskiness," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(3), pages 265-267.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Tobias Hellmann & Frank Riedel, 2014. "A Dynamic Extension of the Foster-Hart Measure of Riskiness," Working Papers 528, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1301.1471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.