Stochastic finite differences and multilevel Monte Carlo for a class of SPDEs in finance
In this article, we propose a Milstein finite difference scheme for a stochastic partial differential equation (SPDE) describing a large particle system. We show, by means of Fourier analysis, that the discretisation on an unbounded domain is convergent of first order in the timestep and second order in the spatial grid size, and that the discretisation is stable with respect to boundary data. Numerical experiments clearly indicate that the same convergence order also holds for boundary-value problems. Multilevel path simulation, previously used for SDEs, is shown to give substantial complexity gains compared to a standard discretisation of the SPDE or direct simulation of the particle system. We derive complexity bounds and illustrate the results by an application to basket credit derivatives.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicola Bruti-Liberati, 2007. "Numerical Solution of Stochastic Differential Equations with Jumps in Finance," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 1, September.
- Buckwar, Evelyn & Sickenberger, Thorsten, 2011. "A comparative linear mean-square stability analysis of Maruyama- and Milstein-type methods," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 81(6), pages 1110-1127.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Benth, Fred Espen & Koekebakker, Steen, 2008. "Stochastic modeling of financial electricity contracts," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1116-1157, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.1442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.