Why are quadratic normal volatility models analytically tractable?
We discuss the class of "Quadratic Normal Volatility" models, which have drawn much attention in the financial industry due to their analytic tractability and flexibility. We characterize these models as the ones that can be obtained from stopped Brownian motion by a simple transformation and a change of measure that only depends on the terminal value of the stopped Brownian motion. This explains the existence of explicit analytic formulas for option prices within Quadratic Normal Volatility models in the academic literature.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics, 2013 4:1, 185-202|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://arxiv.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miltersen, K. & K. Sandmann & D. Sondermann, 1994.
"Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
308, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Miltersen, Kristian R & Sandmann, Klaus & Sondermann, Dieter, 1997. " Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 409-30, March.
- Sven Rady, 1997. "Option pricing in the presence of natural boundaries and a quadratic diffusion term (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 331-344.
- K. Sandmann & Sandmann, K., 1995. "The Direct Approach to Debt Option Pricing," Discussion Paper Serie B 212, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Peter Carr & Katrina Ellis & Vishal Gupta, 1998. "Static Hedging of Exotic Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1165-1190, 06.
- Peter Carr & Travis Fisher & Johannes Ruf, 2012. "On the Hedging of Options On Exploding Exchange Rates," Papers 1202.6188, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2013.
- Rady, Sven, 1994. "The Direct Approach to Debt Option Pricing," Munich Reprints in Economics 3404, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1202.6187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.