Pricing of vanilla and first generation exotic options in the local stochastic volatility framework: survey and new results
Stochastic volatility (SV) and local stochastic volatility (LSV) processes can be used to model the evolution of various financial variables such as FX rates, stock prices, and so on. Considerable efforts have been devoted to pricing derivatives written on underliers governed by such processes. Many issues remain, though, including the efficacy of the standard alternating direction implicit (ADI) numerical methods for solving SV and LSV pricing problems. In general, the amount of required computations for these methods is very substantial. In this paper we address some of these issues and propose a viable alternative to the standard ADI methods based on Galerkin-Ritz ideas. We also discuss various approaches to solving the corresponding pricing problems in a semi-analytical fashion. We use the fact that in the zero correlation case some of the pricing problems can be solved analytically, and develop a closed-form series expansion in powers of correlation. We perform a thorough benchmarking of various numerical solutions by using analytical and semi-analytical solutions derived in the paper.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Kahl & Peter Jackel, 2006. "Fast strong approximation Monte Carlo schemes for stochastic volatility models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(6), pages 513-536.
- Agnieszka Janek & Tino Kluge & Rafal Weron & Uwe Wystup, 2010.
"FX Smile in the Heston Model,"
HSC Research Reports
HSC/10/02, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Agnieszka Janek & Tino Kluge & Rafal Weron & Uwe Wystup, 2010. "FX Smile in the Heston Model," Papers 1010.1617, arXiv.org.
- Janek, Agnieszka & Kluge, Tino & Weron, Rafal & Wystup, Uwe, 2010. "FX Smile in the Heston Model," MPRA Paper 25491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agnieszka Janek & Tino Kluge & RafaÅ‚ Weron & Uwe Wystup, 2010. "FX Smile in the Heston Model," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-047, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Alan L. Lewis, 2000. "Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility," Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility, Finance Press, number ovsv, March.
- Pavel Cizek & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Rafal Weron, 2005. "Statistical Tools for Finance and Insurance," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1312.5693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.