Quasi-Monte Carlo methods for the Heston model
In this paper, we discuss the application of quasi-Monte Carlo methods to the Heston model. We base our algorithms on the Broadie-Kaya algorithm, an exact simulation scheme for the Heston model. As the joint transition densities are not available in closed-form, the Linear Transformation method due to Imai and Tan, a popular and widely applicable method to improve the effectiveness of quasi-Monte Carlo methods, cannot be employed in the context of path-dependent options when the underlying price process follows the Heston model. Consequently, we tailor quasi-Monte Carlo methods directly to the Heston model. The contributions of the paper are threefold: We firstly show how to apply quasi-Monte Carlo methods in the context of the Heston model and the SVJ model, secondly that quasi-Monte Carlo methods improve on Monte Carlo methods, and thirdly how to improve the effectiveness of quasi-Monte Carlo methods by using bridge constructions tailored to the Heston and SVJ models. Finally, we provide some extensions for computing greeks, barrier options, multidimensional and multi-asset pricing, and the 3/2 model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2010. "Pricing swaps and options on quadratic variation under stochastic time change models—discrete observations case," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 141-176, July.
- Jan Baldeaux, 2012.
"Exact Simulation Of The 3/2 Model,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 15(05), pages 1250032-1-1.
- Fred Espen Benth & Martin Groth & Paul C. Kettler, 2006. "A Quasi-Monte Carlo Algorithm For The Normal Inverse Gaussian Distribution And Valuation Of Financial Derivatives," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(06), pages 843-867.
- Jan Baldeaux & Dale Roberts, 2012.
"Quasi-Monte Carlo methods for the Heston model,"
1202.3217, arXiv.org, revised May 2012.
- Mark Broadie & Paul Glasserman, 1996. "Estimating Security Price Derivatives Using Simulation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 269-285, February.
- Bates, David S, 1996. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in Deutsche Mark Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 69-107.
- Lin Yuan & John Kalbfleisch, 2000. "On the Bessel Distribution and Related Problems," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 52(3), pages 438-447, September.
- Pierre L'Ecuyer & Christiane Lemieux, 2000. "Variance Reduction via Lattice Rules," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(9), pages 1214-1235, September.
- Paul Glasserman & Kyoung-Kuk Kim, 2011. "Gamma expansion of the Heston stochastic volatility model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 267-296, June.
- Peter Carr & Jian Sun, 2007. "A new approach for option pricing under stochastic volatility," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 87-150, May.
- Baldeaux Jan, 2008. "Quasi-Monte Carlo methods for the Kou model," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 14(4), pages 281-302, January.
- Alan L. Lewis, 2000. "Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility," Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility, Finance Press, number ovsv, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Makarov Roman N. & Glew Devin, 2010. "Exact simulation of Bessel diffusions," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 16(3-4), pages 283-306, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1202.3217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.