Fisheries Instrument Choice under Uncertainty
This paper uses data from an actual fishery to construct a tractable and dynamic model to compare expected profit and its variance, optimal stock size, optimal harvest rate and optimal fishing effort under different management regimes under uncertainty. The results provide a comparison of instrument choice between a total harvests control and a total effort control under uncertainty, an original method to evaluate the tradeoffs between profits and other criteria in a dynamic context, and provide guidance as to the relative merits of catch and effort controls in fisheries management.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://een.anu.edu.au/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur & Steinshamn, Stein Ivar, 1991. "How to set catch quotas: Constant effort or constant catch?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Danielsson, Asgeir, 2002. "Efficiency of Catch and Effort Quotas in the Presence of Risk," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-33, January.
- H. F. Campbell & R. K. Lindner, 1990. "The Production of Fishing Effort and the Economic Performance of Licence Limitation Programs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 56-66.
- Lee G. Anderson, 1985. "Potential Economic Benefits from Gear Restrictions and License Limitation in Fisheries Regulation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(4), pages 409-418.
- Quiggin, John, 1992. "How to set catch quotas: A note on the superiority of constant effort rules," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 199-203, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anu:eenwps:0607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jack Pezzey)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.