Fisheries Instrument Choice under Uncertainty
This paper uses data from an actual fishery to construct a tractable, dynamic model to compare expected profit and its variance, optimal stock size, optimal harvest rate, and optimal fishing effort under different management regimes under uncertainty. The results provide a comparison of instrument choice between a total harvest control and a total effort control under uncertainty, an original method to evaluate the tradeoffs between profits and other criteria in a dynamic context, and insights regarding the relative merits of catch and effort controls in fisheries management.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Quiggin, John, 1992. "How to set catch quotas: A note on the superiority of constant effort rules," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 199-203, March.
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur & Steinshamn, Stein Ivar, 1991. "How to set catch quotas: Constant effort or constant catch?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Lee G. Anderson, 1985. "Potential Economic Benefits from Gear Restrictions and License Limitation in Fisheries Regulation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(4), pages 409-418.
- Danielsson, Asgeir, 2002. "Efficiency of Catch and Effort Quotas in the Presence of Risk," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-33, January.
- H. F. Campbell & R. K. Lindner, 1990. "The Production of Fishing Effort and the Economic Performance of Licence Limitation Programs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 56-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:84:y:2008:i:4:p:652-666. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.