Fisheries Instrument Choice under Uncertainty
This paper uses data from an actual fishery to construct a tractable, dynamic model to compare expected profit and its variance, optimal stock size, optimal harvest rate, and optimal fishing effort under different management regimes under uncertainty. The results provide a comparison of instrument choice between a total harvest control and a total effort control under uncertainty, an original method to evaluate the tradeoffs between profits and other criteria in a dynamic context, and insights regarding the relative merits of catch and effort controls in fisheries management.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur & Steinshamn, Stein Ivar, 1991. "How to set catch quotas: Constant effort or constant catch?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Danielsson, Asgeir, 2002. "Efficiency of Catch and Effort Quotas in the Presence of Risk," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-33, January.
- Quiggin, John, 1992. "How to set catch quotas: A note on the superiority of constant effort rules," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 199-203, March.
- H. F. Campbell & R. K. Lindner, 1990. "The Production of Fishing Effort and the Economic Performance of Licence Limitation Programs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 56-66.
- Lee G. Anderson, 1985. "Potential Economic Benefits from Gear Restrictions and License Limitation in Fisheries Regulation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(4), pages 409-418.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:84:y:2008:i:4:p:652-666. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.