Scelte residenziali e mercati locali del lavoro. Il caso delle marche
The paper proposes an explanation of the migration behaviour over a regional space on the base of individual preferences and of the functioning of the local labour market. Data on employment and population dynamics at the municipal level often show a clear correlation as effect of spatial contiguity. Therefore, the paper set up an econometric model explaining employment-based individual residential choices also depending on the bordering context. According to the theoretical model, the observed population evolution can be used to define the extent of the local labour markets and consequently the incentive to migration. The model is applied to the municipal data of Marche region and results discussed according to the available boundaries of local labour markets. Moreover, a comparison between rural and urban communes is carried out to provide empirical evidence about the demographic evolution beyond the pull of employment growth.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molho, I, 1982. "Contiguity and Inter-Regional Migration Flows in Great Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 29(3), pages 283-97, November.
- Wojan, Timothy R., 1998. "Rural Employment Growth In The 'New Economy': A Test Of The Spatial Division Of Labor Hypothesis," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 21023, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Krugman, Paul, 1993. "On the number and location of cities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 293-298, April.
- Rhoades, Douglas & Renkow, Mitch, 1998. "Explaining Rural-Urban Earnings Differentials In The U.S," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20921, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Antle, John M. & Capalbo, Susan Marie & Mooney, Sian, 1999. "Optimal Spatial Scale For Evaluating Economic And Environmental Tradeoffs," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21660, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.