The Effect of Relative Income in the Dynamics of Migration: Evidence from the VHLSS Panel Data
This paper examines, within the Vietnamese context, the role of relative deprivation, as proposed by Stark (1984) and Stark and Taylor (1989, 1991), in the dynamics of internal migration. The conventional wisdom in the economics of migration literature, such as the model of Harris and Todaro (1970), holds that as the rural-urban income gap widens, the influx of migrants from rural to urban areas increases until equilibrium is reached. The absolute income gap is of the utmost importance in the decision-making process concerning migration in that model. On the other hand, Stark (1984) hypothesizes that household members undertake migration not necessarily to increase the household’s absolute income but rather to improve the household’s position (in terms of relative deprivation) with respect to a specific reference group.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1982. "Relative deprivation and economic welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-113.
- Eiji Mangyo & Albert Park, 2011. "Relative Deprivation and Health: Which Reference Groups Matter?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 46(3), pages 459-481.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012.
"Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 31-45.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012. "Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5930, The World Bank.
- Kuegler, Alice, 2009. "A Curse of Comparison? Evidence on Reference Groups for Relative Income Concerns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4820, The World Bank.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-324.
- McKenzie, David & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007.
"Self-selection patterns in Mexico-U.S. migration : the role of migration networks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4118, The World Bank.
- David McKenzie & Hillel Rapoport, 2010. "Self-Selection Patterns in Mexico-U.S. Migration: The Role of Migration Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 811-821, November.
- David McKenzie & Hillel Rapoport, 2007. "Self-selection patterns in Mexico-U.S. migration: The role of migration networks," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0701, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Christine Eibner & William N. Evans, 2005.
"Relative Deprivation, Poor Health Habits, and Mortality,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(3).
- Christine E. Eibner & William N. Evans, 2001. "Relative Deprivation, Poor Health Habits and Mortality," Working Papers 265, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2005. "Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 997-1019, June.
- Stark, Oded, 1984. "Rural-to-Urban Migration in LDCs: A Relative Deprivation Approach," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(3), pages 475-86, April.
- Michael A. Quinn, 2006. "Relative Deprivation, Wage Differentials and Mexican Migration," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 135-153, 02.
- Stark, Oded & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1988. "Labour Migration as a Response to Relative Deprivation," MPRA Paper 21670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John D. Hey & Peter J. Lambert, 1980. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 567-573.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umapmt:142096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.