Measuring Farm Net Income To Better Achieve Policy Objectives
The farm problem is a longstanding topic in agricultural economics, and farm organizations continue to press claims that they are disadvantaged and deserve public support. While society may choose to support farmers it is clear that existing farm programs to not do an effective job of providing support. Farm income and farm subsidies are highly concentrated and the lowest income farmers receive little support. Moreover most households with low farm income typically manage their farm to achieve this goal. Politically, commercial farms require that hobby farms continue to be recorded as actual farms in order to mask the small number of enterprises that actually benefit from farm programs. Whether this lead to good public policy is another matter.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 400 Agricultural Engineering Bldg., Lexington, KY 40546-0276|
Phone: (859) 257-5762
Fax: (859) 323-1913
Web page: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Maria Da Rocha & Diego Restuccia, 2006. "The Role of Agriculture in Aggregate Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(3), pages 455-482, July.
- James T. Bonnen, 1975. "Improving Information on Agriculture and Rural Life," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 57(5), pages 753-763.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 1999. "Inefficient Redistribution," CEPR Discussion Papers 2122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee S. Friedman, 1999. "Presidential address: Peanuts envy?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 211-225.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Feldman, Paul, 1971. "Efficiency, Distribution, and the Role of Government in a Market Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 508-526, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ukysps:42315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.