Forecasting World Crop Yields as Probability Distributions
Traditionally, agricultural forecasts, whether for the coming year or several years into the future, have been based on assumptions of normal weather and trend crop yields. That weather is seldom normal and that yields seldom fit trends are well recognized. However, relatively little attention has been given to projecting crop yields stochastically even though computer capacity and software programs are available to do so. One reason is that the task is more challenging than to assign standard deviations to various crop yields and simulate normal distributions using random number generators. For one, deviations of crop yields from trends may be correlated especially if the locations of the crops overlap such as is the case with US corn and soybeans. To model US agriculture, those correlations must be taken into account. Secondly, deviations of crop yields from trends may not be normal. Typically, crop yield deviations are skewed to the low side, with yields lower in poor crop years than higher in favorable crop years. This paper demonstrates how computer software programs can be used to generate probability distributions of yields taking into consideration correlations among crops and non-normality in distributions. Included are thirteen crops and crop aggregates with global coverage of coarse grains, wheat and oilseeds. Probability forecasts are made for 2006 and illustrated for US corn, soybeans and wheat.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ags:joaaec:v:32:y:2000:i:2:p:299-315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000.
"An Applied Procedure for Estimating and Simulating Multivariate Empirical (MVE) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment and Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 299-315, August.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Teigen, Lloyd D. & Bell, Thomas M., 1978. "Confidence Intervals For Corn Price And Utilization Forecasts," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 1.
- repec:ags:joaaec:v:30:y:1998:i:1:p:21-33 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midasp:11740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.