Determinants of Livestock Prices in Ethiopian Pastoral Livestock Markets: Implications for Pastoral Marketing Strategies
The major objective of this paper is to identify determinants of market prices for cattle, sheep and goat in the export market value chain starting from pastoral markets to export abattoirs and live animal exporters. The study is based on the information generated through a formal survey conducted in the major pastoral livestock markets of Ethiopia with 128 collectors, small and big traders, feedlot operators, live animal and meat exporters. Hedonic price formation model was used to analyze the survey data. This study identified certain occasions such as Christian fasting, Muslim fasting, holidays and other times; time of a situation whether that specific month falls during ban time or not and season described as wet or dry season as important determinants of livestock price formation. Age group and body condition of the traded animals, buyer and seller types are also important observable attributes influencing formation of livestock prices.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andargachew, K. & Brokken, Ray F., 1993. "Intra-annual sheep price patterns and factors underlying price variations in the central highlands of Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(2), February.
- Andargachew, K. & Brokken, Ray F., 1993. "Intra-annual sheep price patterns and factors underlying price variations in the central highlands of Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 125-138, February.
- Ayele, Gezahegn & Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Teklewold, Hailemariam & Mulugeta, Elias & Getahun, Kebede, 2006.
"Seasonal and inter-market differences in prices of small ruminants in Ethiopia,"
182989, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Ayele, Gezahegn & Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Teklewold, Hailemariam & Mulugeta, Elias & Kebede, Getahun, 2006. "Seasonal and inter-market differences in prices of small ruminants in Ethiopia," Research Reports 182171, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb.. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.