Explaining The Climate-Dependent Distribution Of Crops In Space –The Example Of Corn And Corn-Cob-Mix In Baden-Württemberg
This article analyses the current climate-dependent spatial distribution of corn and corn-cob-mix in Baden-Württemberg using 2007 data at the county and community level. We use OLS and spatial econometric models to estimate the effects of different climate and non-climate variables on the share of grain maize in UAA. Whereas the temperature effect is missed by means of OLS regression, the adequate spatial error model at the county level yields a highly significant positive effect of mean annual temperature. Additionally, it displays a temperature cut-off point after which corn share is less likely to rise due to temperature increase. These effects are supported by a non-spatial multinomial logit model at the community level. The latter further indicates that soil quality also plays a role. The positive effect of annual precipitation remains ambiguous.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig|
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- P. Wilner Jeanty, 2010. "SPMLREG: Stata module to estimate the spatial lag, the spatial error, the spatial durbin, and the general spatial models by maximum likelihood," Statistical Software Components S457135, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 25 Dec 2013.
- Mendelsohn, Robert & Nordhaus, William D & Shaw, Daigee, 1994. "The Impact of Global Warming on Agriculture: A Ricardian Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 753-771, September.
- Gunnar Breustedt & Hendrik Habermann, 2011. "The Incidence of EU Per‐Hectare Payments on Farmland Rental Rates: A Spatial Econometric Analysis of German Farm‐Level Data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 225-243, 02.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-1240, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- P. Wilner Jeanty, 2010. "SPLAGVAR: Stata module to generate spatially lagged variables, construct the Moran Scatter plot, and calculate Moran's I statistics," Statistical Software Components S457112, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 09 Aug 2012.
- Seo, S. Niggol & Mendelsohn, Robert, 2008. "An analysis of crop choice: Adapting to climate change in South American farms," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 109-116, August.
- P. Wilner Jeanty, 2010. "ANKETEST: Stata module to perform diagnostic tests for spatial autocorrelation in the residuals of OLS, SAR, IV, and IV-SAR models," Statistical Software Components S457113, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 11 Mar 2010.
- P. Wilner Jeanty, 2010. "SPWMATRIX: Stata module to generate, import, and export spatial weights," Statistical Software Components S457111, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Mar 2014. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi11:114504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.