Evaluating existing policy flexibilities in WTO agricultural negotiations: different criteria for the selection of sensitive products
Within WTO agricultural negotiations, this paper deals with alternative criteria for the selection of sensitive products. Existing methodologies mostly rely on the analysis of tariffs and trade flows. On the contrary, assessments of the economic impacts on specific groups of stakeholders, namely the domestic agricultural sector, are missing or conducted at a high level of product aggregation. We hence develop a methodology that considers the effects of the selection of sensitive products on domestic agricultural prices. Our model, TRIMAG (Tariff Reduction Impact Model for Agriculture), defined at the 8-digit level, optimizes the domestic agricultural value added subject to a maximum number of sensitive tariff lines. The existing methodologies are applied to the Swiss tariff schedule and results compared with those of TRIMAG. Findings confirm the importance of developing sound economic criteria for the exante impact assessment of policy flexibilities. Furthermore, TRIMAG can be considered as a tariff aggregation tool that can be linked to agricultural simulation models that operate at a higher level of aggregation.
|Date of creation:||10 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005.
"Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2005-17, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2005. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9), pages 1301-1327, 09.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2006. "Agricultural Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6889.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2005. "Agricultural trade reform and the Doha development agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3607, The World Bank.
- Antoine Bouët & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2004. "A Consistent, Ad-Valorem Equivalent Measure of Applied Protection Across the World: The MAcMap-HS6 Database," Working Papers 2004-22, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa122:98986. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.