Institutional Options for the Conservation of Biodiversity: Evidence from the Czech Republic
The paper focuses on changes in property rights and policies regarding interactions between agriculture and nature in the Czech Republic. In the first part the recent situation is reviewed. The institutional and organisational features and their development during the transition and recent years are illustrated by the case study on the White Carpathian protected landscape area. The key issue in conservation in the White Carpathians (as in the number of other marginal areas) is to maintain grassland management at large scale. While environmental policy lacks measures for maintaining grassland management, respective incentives were launched in the frame of agricultural policy, although they do not sufficiently consider environmental concerns. There are two other problem areas hampering efficient organisation of conservation: uncompleted land reform and little involvement of local population in determining conservation priorities. In the second part, the paper examines three policy options for enhancing sustainability of landscape and biodiversity on farmland. The proposed policy options each reflect the identified problems in the White Carpathian case study.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State versus Private Ownership,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 133-150, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barzel,Yoram, 1997. "Economic Analysis of Property Rights," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521597135, Diciembre.
- Bromley, Daniel W & Hodge, Ian, 1990. "Private Property Rights and Presumptive Policy Entitlements: Reconsidering the Premises of Rural Policy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 197-214.
- Slangen, Louis H.G., 2001. "Sustainable Agriculture - Getting The Institutions Right," Discussion Papers 18893, CEESA: Central and Eastern European Sustainable Agriculture International Research Project.
- R. Quentin Grafton, 2000. "Governance of the Commons: A Role for the State?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 504-517. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ceesdp:18888. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.