The Race for Leasing Rights: Pasture Access and Institutional Change During Post-socialist Reforms in Azerbaijan
Within the context of transition and pasture reform in Central Asian and Caucasian countries our study focuses on the pasture reform in Azerbaijan. The pasture reform in Azerbaijan has received little attention in scientific literature although it displays a rapid emergence of individualised rights for pasture plots, which is an exceptional development in this region. Using empirical case study evidence we analyse the implementation and outcomes of the reform process for pastoral land in the context of the macroeconomic development in Azerbaijan and in comparison to pasture reforms in other post-socialist transition countries. We apply the evolutionary theory of property rights to explain and analyse the exceptionally rapid emergence of individual property rights for pasture in Azerbaijan.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)30 2093 6305
Fax: +49 (0)30 2093 6497
Web page: http://www.agrar.hu-berlin.de/fakultaet/departments/daoe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Terry L & Hill, Peter J, 1990. "The Race for Property Rights," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 177-97, April.
- Csaki, Csaba & Lerman, Zvi, 1994. "Land Reform and Farm Sector Restructuring in the Former Socialist Countries in Europe," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(3-4), pages 553-76.
- Sikor, Thomas & Müller, Daniel, 2009. "The Limits of State-Led Land Reform: An Introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1307-1316, August.
- Banks, Tony, 2003. "Property Rights Reform in Rangeland China: Dilemmas On the Road to the Household Ranch," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 2129-2142, December.
- Angelsen, Arild, 1995. "Shifting cultivation and "deforestation": A study from Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1713-1729, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521597135 is not listed on IDEAS
- Umbeck, John, 1981. "Might Makes Rights: A Theory of the Formation and Initial Distribution of Property Rights," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(1), pages 38-59, January.
- R. Quentin Grafton, 2000. "Governance of the Commons: A Role for the State?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 504-517.
- Johan Swinnen & Ayo Heinegg, 2002.
"On the Political Economy of Land Reforms in the Former Soviet Union,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
11502, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Ayo Heinegg, 2002. "On the political economy of land reforms in the former Soviet Union," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 1019-1031.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:huiain:148489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.